Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Dave Lester <da...@davelester.org> on 2015/06/02 20:40:14 UTC

Reminder: ASF Code of Conduct

For those that be unaware, the Apache Software Foundation has a code of
conduct that "governs how we behave in any forum and whenever we will be
judged by our actions. We expect it to be honored by everyone who
participates in the Apache community formally or informally, or claims
any affiliation with the Foundation." That includes the Apache Mesos
project mailing list, JIRA, and spaces managed by the ASF.

The full CoC is available online, which I suggest reviewing:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/conduct.html

Given sensitivities and disagreements surrounding recent mailing list
discussions, I thought it was important to remind folks that the CoC
exists and applies here. Among the guidelines, I wanted to point out two
in particular which I personally see as key:

"2. Be empathetic, welcoming, friendly, and patient. We work together to
resolve conflict, assume good intentions, and do our best to act in an
empathetic fashion. We may all experience some frustration from time to
time, but we do not allow frustration to turn into a personal attack. A
community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a
productive one. We should be respectful when dealing with other
community members as well as with people outside our community.

[...]

5. Be careful in the words that we choose. Whether we are participating
as professionals or volunteers, we value professionalism in all
interactions, and take responsibility for our own speech. Be kind to
others. Do not insult or put down other participants. Harassment and
other exclusionary behaviour are not acceptable. This includes, but is
not limited to:

 * Violent threats or language directed against another person.
 * Sexist, racist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
 * Posting sexually explicit or violent material.
 * Posting (or threatening to post) other people's personally
 identifying information ("doxing").
 * Sharing private content, such as emails sent privately or
 non-publicly, or unlogged forums such as IRC channel history.
Personal insults, especially those using racist or sexist terms.
 * Unwelcome sexual attention.
 * Excessive or unnecessary profanity.
 * Repeated harassment of others. In general, if someone asks you to
 stop, then stop.
 * Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviour."

Thanks for being respectful, open, and growing our community in a way
that makes us proud.

Dave

Re: Reminder: ASF Code of Conduct

Posted by Dave Lester <da...@davelester.org>.