Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Alejandro Fernandez <af...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/06/02 16:55:57 UTC

Code Review groups

Hi committers and contributors,

I'm sure most of you have ran into this before; whenever I submit a code review I'm always curious to find out which reviewers I should include that are knowledgeable in that area.
So I'll typically run git blame to find the last 2-3 people that worked on those files, which takes time and may include reviewers no longer interested in that code area or miss reviewers that are interested.
I want to propose a wiki where developers sign up to be reviewers for a particular section, could be a feature, directory, etc.

Thoughts?

This allows developers to opt-in to areas of interest (even outside of their current expertise), should produce better code reviews, and make it easier for new contributors to find the right people.

Thank you,
Alejandro Fernandez

Re: Code Review groups

Posted by Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com>.
+1.

Alejandro, do you want to create a starter wiki and let folks sign up for their areas of expertise?

Yusaku

Re: Code Review groups

Posted by Masahiro Tanaka <pl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yusaku,

I think testing GitHub pull request model is a good idea. We should
confirm the value of pull-request model before we switch.

I would like to help writing a draft for the contribution guide.

Re: Code Review groups

Posted by Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Masahiro,

I think it's definitely worth looking into using the Github PR model.

Apache Spark's contribution guide is very detailed so it could be a good starter reference for us: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Contributing+to+Spark

Since publishing patches and doing code reviews on Github PR vs the traditional way are not mutually exclusive, we can experiment and see how we (the contributors/committers) likes it.  If the response is positive, we can do a total switch over to the Github PR model.

BTW other Apache projects, such as Apache Flink, use the Github PR model as well: https://flink.apache.org/contribute-code.html

Does anyone want to volunteer to write a draft for the contribution guide?

Yusaku

Re: Code Review groups

Posted by 田中正浩 <pl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Code Review groups