Posted to dev@htrace.apache.org by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org> on 2017/03/02 20:19:39 UTC

incubator report / podling status

HTrace's quarterly report is slightly overdue (due yesterday). I've pasted
a bare bones draft below based on the last report. Does anyone have
something to add?

We should have a discussion about HTrace's status. We were talking about
the possibility of graduation over a year ago. Do you think we need to grow
the community further before proposing graduation?

-----
HTrace is a tracing framework intended for use with distributed systems
written in java.

HTrace has been incubating since 2014-11-11.

  1. Continue to grow the Apache HTrace community
  2. Continue to explore projects integrating Apache HTrace
  3. Continue to develop and release stable Apache HTrace incubating
artifacts

aware of?

  There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

  Mailing lists have been quiet.

  Development has been quiet.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2016-10-06

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2016-10-03

Re: incubator report / podling status

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 12:31 AM, Raam Rosh-Hai <ra...@findhotel.net> wrote:

> I will be giving a talk about using htrace to build the
> akka-streams-tracing library http://scalar-conf.com/ (Raam @ 14:30), It
> might help with community building and I would be happy to introduce
> specific things to that talk that the community finds relevant.
>
> I didn't put in githtub yet since there's still some work to be done,
> Tracing seems like a hot topic in the scala community so we might get more
> interest from that direction.

Sweet Raam. Post pointer to talk here after you are done?

Posted by Raam Rosh-Hai <ra...@findhotel.net>.

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Colin McCabe <cm...@fastmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 10:56, Billie Rinaldi wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> and
> > > >

> > > Done

> > > contributing
> would
> work on
> consider
> work on
> > > >

> > > Yes. Makes sense. What is special about this receiver?
> > >

> > Nearly all Apache Accumulo instances are configured to send traces to
> > themselves using this mechanism. There's a tracer process that spans are
> > sent to via Thrift, and the tracer inserts the spans into Accumulo. The
> > tracer location(s) are discovered via ZooKeeper. So, pretty normal?
> > https://github.com/apache/accumulo/tree/master/server/tracer
> /src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/tracer
>
> Yeah, we should add that SpanReceiver to HTrace.
>

> > When testing out HDFS and Accumulo tracing together, I found I had to add
> > configuration property that would optionally allow the receiver to drop
> > spans of length 0ms, as HDFS was generating a huge number of these. (I
> > realize dropping spans is not recommended, but I was still able to do
> > some
> > interpretation of parentless spans when the 0ms spans were missing.)
>
> This should be fixed in the latest HDFS.  Unfortunately, the Hadoop 2.8
> release got eaten by a grue, but if you try Hadoop 3.0 alpha, it should
> be there.  Incidentally, updating Accumulo to HTrace 4.x would be one of
> the best things we could do to help HTrace...

We've had a discussion about that. I think it will happen when we bump our
default Hadoop version to one that depends on HTrace 4. It will mean
dropping support for Accumulo+HDFS tracing for versions of Hadoop using
HTrace 3, but we decided that would be preferable to having a shim layer.
Another reason it would be nice to have the Accumulo receiver in HTrace.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@fastmail.com>.

--
  Colin McCabe
  cmccabe314@fastmail.com