Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bart Maertens <ba...@apache.org> on 2021/10/15 10:02:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Hop (Incubating) as a TLP

Hi All,

After a discussion with the community[1], we believe Apache Hop (Incubating) is ready for graduation to a TLP, and we'd like to bring it up in discussion with the IPMC.

The Hop community achievements since Hop joined the Incubator in September 2020:

- over 3000 commits by 27 contributors
- 4 releases (0.60, 0.70, 0.99, 1.0)
- 5 mentors, 6 PPMC members (mentors excluded) and 8 committers (mentors and PPMC members excluded)
- diverse committers and PPMC, with regular contributions from at least 4 different companies/institutes
- Apache Hop website[2]
- dev conversations at dev@hop.apache.org
- assessed ourselves against the Apache Project maturity matrix[3] and didn't find any issues.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/reab316256de8b7d8a8e2c73dbc412ca82a3f7c17243163061f848f9c%40%3Cdev.hop.apache.org%3E
[2] https://hop.incubator.apache.org/
[3] https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html

Please see the proposed board resolution below and let us know what you think.

The discussion will remain open for at least 72 hours.

Establish the Apache Hop Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to short for the Hop Orchestration Platform. Written completely
in Java it aims to provide a wide range of data orchestration tools,
including a visual development environment, servers, metadata analysis,
auditing services and so on. As a platform, Hop also wants to be a
reusable library so that it can be easily reused by other software.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Hop Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Hop Project be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of software related to short for the Hop
Orchestration Platform. Written completely in Java it aims to provide a
wide range of data orchestration tools, including a visual development
environment, servers, metadata analysis, auditing services and so on. As
a platform, Hop also wants to be a reusable library so that it can be
easily reused by other software; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Hop" be and hereby
is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of
the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Hop Project, and to
have primary responsibility for management of the projects within the
scope of responsibility of the Apache Hop Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Hop Project:

 * Bart Maertens      <ba...@apache.org>
 * Brandon Jackson    <us...@apache.org>
 * Francois Papon     <fp...@apache.org>
 * Hans Van Akelyen   <ha...@apache.org>
 * Hiromu Hota        <hi...@apache.org>
 * Julian Hyde        <jh...@apache.org>
 * Kevin Ratnasekera  <dj...@apache.org>
 * Matt Casters       <mc...@apache.org>
 * Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>
 * Nicolas Adment     <na...@apache.org>
 * Tom Barber         <ma...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Hans Van Akelyen be
appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Hop, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Hop Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Hop podling; and
be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Hop podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Hop (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Seb,

It's because we have both the https://www.apache.org/licenses/ and
https://apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 on our website.
In this case we believe it should be green, and the check is not working
100% in our case.

Cheers,
Hans

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
I don’t think the infractions noted by Sebb affect Hop’s readiness to graduate. In a well-running project those would be raised on the dev list and easily resolved.

Hop is a well-running project with an open and active community. I have been one of its mentors through Incubation. It is ready to be a top-level Apache project. Good luck!

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Calvin Kirs <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> [...]

> >  * Matt Casters       <mc...@apache.org>
> >  * Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>
> >  * Nicolas Adment     <na...@apache.org>
> >  * Tom Barber         <ma...@apache.org>
> >
> > NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Hans Van Akelyen be
> > appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Hop, to serve in
> > accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
> > and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
> > removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
> > it further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that the Apache Hop Project be and hereby is tasked with the
> > migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Hop podling; and
> > be it further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
> > Hop podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter

Best  wishes!
Calvin Kirs

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Hop (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bart Maertens <ba...@know.bi>.
Hi Justin, All,

The server mentioned as [1] was an old test server that has been shut down.
The other issues mentioned earlier in this thread have been taken care of
as well.

We'll start a discussion about (P)PMC membership, do a community vote on
the graduation and start a new [DISCUSS] thread here.
Please let us know if there are any other steps or items we need to take
into account.

Regards,
Bart

[1] http://52.214.20.244

Posted by Bart Maertens <ba...@know.bi>.
Hi Julian, All,

The older release artifacts[1] are removed and the download page[2] is
updated. Only the latest 1.0 release is still available.
The missing hop.yml file[3] has been added.

We'll discuss and update the resolution description over the next few days.

We skipped the community vote because the graduation guide[4] mentions
"This VOTE is not a requirement but is recommended". We assumed the
positive feedback about graduation we got from our mentors in an earlier
thread on the dev mailing list[5] and in the context of the 1.0 release[6]
was sufficient.
We can of course still organize the vote if necessary.

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/hop/
[2] https://hop.apache.org/download/
[3]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/podlings/hop.yml
[4] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
[5]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/reab316256de8b7d8a8e2c73dbc412ca82a3f7c17243163061f848f9c%40%3Cdev.hop.apache.org%3E
[6]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ra12672123f1b20dd61de8146e670b4e0f00b022220031658dd9a5271%40%3Cdev.hop.apache.org%3E

Regards,
Bart

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> [...]

> * Matt Casters       <mc...@apache.org>
> * Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>
> * Nicolas Adment     <na...@apache.org>
> * Tom Barber         <ma...@apache.org>
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Hans Van Akelyen be
> appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Hop, to serve in
> accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
> and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
> removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
> it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache Hop Project be and hereby is tasked with the
> migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Hop podling; and
> be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
> Hop podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org