Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by rd...@me.com on 2017/11/25 18:01:39 UTC

Safeguard without MP-Config?

Hey guys

Should Safeguard run even without a MP-Config implementation? I think it would be cool if it did.

Method `ExecutionPlanFactory#enableNonFallbacksForMicroProfile` looks a little bit like it tries to, but line 141 catches only `ClassNotFoundException`. If it would also catch `NoClassDefFoundError` and `ExceptionInInitializerError`, it would actually work.

I could create a pull request, but I can't see how?

Rüdiger

Re: Safeguard without MP-Config?

Posted by rd...@me.com.
Hi John,

On 25. Nov 2017, 19:56 +0100, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>, wrote:
> Hi Rüdiger!
>
> I think it would be fine if it could operate without MP Config.  I was actually thinking that configuration could be more of an SPI, rather than a hard requirement.  E.g. one impl for MP Config, another for ConfigJSR, and maybe a default one with system properties enabled?

Nice! What would that SPI look like? Maybe a subset of MP config? I like the way slf4j handles the absence of an implementation: It brings it's own NOP implementation as a fallback. Maybe that's an idea for MP config, too: if there is an implementation on the classpath, use that; otherwise log an info about falling back and do the bare minimum: maybe simply no config at all, or use system properties and environment variable only.

> And you are correct, that was my strawman placeholder to solve it, but agree that it will not work 100%

The change is quite trivial to do, but I have no idea how to test it.

> If you want to create a pull request, first fork https://github.com/apache/geronimo-safeguard then make your changes in your fork.  You should then see an option in github to raise a PR.

Okay, sure. I had seen that the project on github is just a mirror of git://git.apache.org/geronimo-safeguard.git and didn't understand that I can still create pull requests. Just did.

Rüdiger

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1 for a spi with a default detection at boot time

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi Rüdiger!