Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org> on 2004/09/25 19:23:40 UTC

Bundle::SpamAssassin

Since it's getting to the point where SpamAssassin in its entirety has
quite a few dependencies and requirements, perhaps could someone create a
Bundle package that installs them?  Possibly a
Bundle::Spamassassin::Optional as well for the non-crucial features?

-Dan Mahoney

--

"Be happy.  Try not to hurt each other.  Hope you fall in love."

--Mallory, Family Ties Finale (on the meaning of life)

Posted by Jim Sabatke <js...@execpc.com>.
Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> Since it's getting to the point where SpamAssassin in its entirety has
> quite a few dependencies and requirements, perhaps could someone create
> a Bundle package that installs them?  Possibly a
> Bundle::Spamassassin::Optional as well for the non-crucial features?
>
> -Dan Mahoney

I've just download 3.0, so I've been following the problem
with installation and with the amavis-new interface.

I haven't looked up much on the spamassassin website, but I
did browse through it a bit.

What I didn't see, and would be nice, is if there was a very
clear list of dependencies and perhaps an order of
installation page.

I just installed gnome 2.8 and found their page very helpful
  with that.  It wasn't perfect, but with all the distros
out there it was probably the best they could do, as
different distros have different libs and put things in
different places.

I'll probably wait for the issues to stabilize.  I really
appreciate people listing their problems and solutions.  I'm
saving them all so hopefully mine will go more smoothly.
--
Jim Sabatke
Hire Me!! - See my resume at http://my.execpc.com/~jsabatke

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy
and good with ketchup.

NOTE: Please do not email me any attachments with Microsoft
extensions.  They
are deleted on my ISP's server before I ever see them, and
no bounce message
is sent.

Re: [sa-list] Re: Bundle::SpamAssassin

Posted by Bob Apthorpe <ap...@cynistar.net>.
Hi,

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:26:04 +0100 Julian Field <jk...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Agreed. I tend to steer clear of CPAN for large packages, it is far too
> keen on upgrading my entire Perl installation instead of just installing
> the few modules I actually need.

Then you have a very, very old version of CPAN (<1.50?) CPAN hasn't
tried to upgrade core perl in years (since 5.6.0 or 5.6.1 IIRC.)

--
Bob Apthorpe

Re: [sa-list] Re: Bundle::SpamAssassin

Posted by Julian Field <jk...@ecs.soton.ac.uk>.
At 19:11 25/09/2004, you wrote:
>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Julian Field wrote:
>
>>At 18:23 25/09/2004, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>>>Since it's getting to the point where SpamAssassin in its entirety has
>>>quite a few dependencies and requirements, perhaps could someone create
>>>a Bundle package that installs them?  Possibly a
>>>Bundle::Spamassassin::Optional as well for the non-crucial features?
>
>Right, but I meant since the preferred method of installg/upgrading SA
>seems to be via CPAN -- it would make sense to have ALL the dependencies
>there too, no?

Agreed. I tend to steer clear of CPAN for large packages, it is far too
keen on upgrading my entire Perl installation instead of just installing
the few modules I actually need.

>>I have a package for RPM and non-RPM systems which installs everything
>>required for Mail::ClamAV and SpamAssassin 3 at
>>http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/files/4/install-Clam-SA.tar.gz
>>This will do most of the donkey work for you building all the
>>dependencies in the right order.
>>
>>It won't take you a minute to remove the ClamAV bits if you don't want them.

jkf@ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ

Re: [sa-list] Re: Bundle::SpamAssassin

Posted by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org>.
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Julian Field wrote:

> At 18:23 25/09/2004, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>> Since it's getting to the point where SpamAssassin in its entirety has
>> quite a few dependencies and requirements, perhaps could someone create a
>> Bundle package that installs them?  Possibly a
>> Bundle::Spamassassin::Optional as well for the non-crucial features?

Right, but I meant since the preferred method of installg/upgrading SA
seems to be via CPAN -- it would make sense to have ALL the dependencies
there too, no?

-Dan

--

"It's buttery kettle ASS corn!"