Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by aaron searle <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/07 15:13:19 UTC

SVN Move with history

I have repository with a base and branches folders, with code in base.  I
want to fork the project, and make the folder structure as follows.

From
base\code.c

somefolder/base/code.c

I have used the svnadmin dump / load ( with --parent-path ) to make these
changes and have the desired output.  However, I want to know how to use SVN
move and maintain my history on that file and get the same results.   If I
make the somefolder and base folders and do SVN Move on the code.c it queues
the commit for an add on the new file, and delete on the old.  I loose all
the history.  How can I maintain the history?  Even page 269 of the
Subversion PDF manual shows that move is really just a add / delete on the
file, and history is lost.....

Re: SVN Move with history

Posted by Rob van Oostrum <rv...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM, aaron searle <se...@gmail.com>wrote:

> No luck with the stop on copy option.  Perhaps can I get the proper steps
> to do what I need from someone?
>

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:37, aaron searle<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Using 1.5.1 on the server side, and Tortoise 1.6.1 client side.
>> >
>> > Move works, put if I do show log, or blame or compare with prev, it only
>> > shows one revision.   History on all previous revision are not obtained,
>> it
>> > is as if the file was svn add(ed) and not moved.

>> use
>> If
>> loose
>> on

Are you (svn-) moving only the file or the directory in its entirety? If
you're only moving the file, but manually recreating the directory structure
(somefolder/base in your example), and then looking a the history of the
folder, obviously it's not going to see the history of the folder itself,
since there is none beyond you creating the folder and adding the file. But
you should still see history on the file itself by running svn log directly
against it.
Hope that makes sense,

Rob

--
Polarion Software

Subversion Training & Consulting Services |
www.polarion.com/services/index.php

Download Eclipse bundled with Subversive  today! |
www.polarion.com/products/eclipse/

Re: SVN Move with history

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.
On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 10:15:55AM -0600, Aaron Searle wrote:
> No luck with the stop on copy option.  Perhaps can I get the proper steps to
> do what I need from someone?

There are no proper steps, really; it just works for me (svn mv foo bar
&& svn commit && svn log bar).

Are you checking the logs after you commit the svn mv operation?

Failing that, can you post a recipe that reproduces the problem?

tyler

Re: SVN Move with history

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 9:15 AM, aaron searle <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No luck with the stop on copy option.  Perhaps can I get the proper steps
> to do what I need from someone?

What Andy suggested was to use it *without* the stop-on-copy option (uncheck
the option).

What you have done seems to be the right way. From the command line, you
would just do:

cd <root of the working copy>
svn mkdir somedir
svn ci somedir
svn mv $url/base $url/somedir

At this point, the status should show : "A+ somedir/base"

That is the directory somedir/base is added, with history (the + sign
indicates that).

If you could tell us exactly the steps that you followed, it will be easier
to debug.

Re: SVN Move with history

Posted by aaron searle <se...@gmail.com>.
Yes, now I understand what was happening.  If I did a show log on the root
folder (somefolder) it would only have one revision history, however show
log on the 'base' folder inside has all the revision history.  So I was
somewhat deceived, as I was expecting to see revision history on the root
folder ( the new folder ), but obviously will not, because it is a new
folder.  So my steps did actuall get me the desired results for the base and
recursive files/folders.

Thanks for everyone's input.

RE: SVN Move with history

Posted by Tony Sweeney <ts...@omnifone.com>.
________________________________

searle wrote:
		>> > changes and have the desired output.  However, I
want to know how to use
		>> > SVN
		>> > move and maintain my history on that file and get
the same results.   If
		>> > make the somefolder and base folders and do SVN
Move on the code.c it
		>> > queues
		>> > the commit for an add on the new file, and delete
on the old.  I loose
		>> > all
		>> > the history.  How can I maintain the history?  Even
page 269 of the
		>> > Subversion PDF manual shows that move is really
just a add / delete on
		>> > the
		>> > file, and history is lost.....
		>>
		>> That should work. What version of svn are you using?
		>>
		>> tyler

	TortoiseSVN doesn't automatically refresh the 'show log' view
when you uncheck the 'stop on copy/rename' option.  Oddly, clicking
'Refresh' doesn't seem to help either (at least in the case where it's
already stopped at the copy).  'Next 100' is greyed out as well in this
case, but 'Show All' works as advertised.  This is in version 1.5.9.

	Tony.

	This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security
System.
	For more information please visit
http://www.messagelabs.com/email

Re: SVN Move with history