Posted to user@syncope.apache.org by "justin.isenhour" <ju...@compass-usa.com> on 2019/04/29 22:22:05 UTC

Default Quartz Misfire Threshold

Hello,

The current configuration of Quartz defined in provisioningContext.xml under
syncope-core-provisioning-java project has the misfire threshold set to
6000000 (100 minutes).  The default value for Quartz is 1 minute, is there a
specific reason that this value was changed to 100 minutes?  The reason that
I ask is because I am considering changing this in my local instance and
wanted to ensure that this will not cause some unforeseen negative impact.

The reason I want to change this is that we are working on a migration
effort where we will run an external bulk process to migrate a collection of
users from a legacy system to our new system built on Syncope using the core
rest APIs.  Depending on the line of business we could be creating between
100 and 5000 new users at a time and have noticed that during these bulk
migrations the notification job may encounter a misfire in which case the
notifications will not start sending for 100 minutes.  I would like to
reduce this threshold back to the default 1 minute so that misfires are
caught and resolved right away.  Any concerns I should be aware of?

Also, this property does not provide an option to override the value in my
local project which means I will need to modify the source and recompile the
project.  Since other values do have override options and this doesn't it
make me wonder if there was a very good reason not to override this value.
If there are no concerns in overriding this value it would be nice if this
could be overridden in a future release so that I do not have to recompile
the source to change this.

Thanks,
Justin Isenhour

--
Sent from: http://syncope-user.1051894.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Default Quartz Misfire Threshold

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

On 30/04/19 00:22, justin.isenhour wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The current configuration of Quartz defined in provisioningContext.xml under
> syncope-core-provisioning-java project has the misfire threshold set to
> 6000000 (100 minutes).  The default value for Quartz is 1 minute, is there a
> specific reason that this value was changed to 100 minutes?  The reason that
> I ask is because I am considering changing this in my local instance and
> wanted to ensure that this will not cause some unforeseen negative impact.

It seems you are right:

http://www.quartz-scheduler.org/documentation/quartz-2.3.0/configuration/ConfigRAMJobStore.html

though I believe it was just a copy / paste error.

> The reason I want to change this is that we are working on a migration
> effort where we will run an external bulk process to migrate a collection of
> users from a legacy system to our new system built on Syncope using the core
> rest APIs.  Depending on the line of business we could be creating between
> 100 and 5000 new users at a time and have noticed that during these bulk
> migrations the notification job may encounter a misfire in which case the
> notifications will not start sending for 100 minutes.  I would like to
> reduce this threshold back to the default 1 minute so that misfires are
> caught and resolved right away.  Any concerns I should be aware of?
I don't see any issue with that.
> Also, this property does not provide an option to override the value in my
> local project which means I will need to modify the source and recompile the
> project.  Since other values do have override options and this doesn't it
> make me wonder if there was a very good reason not to override this value.
> If there are no concerns in overriding this value it would be nice if this
> could be overridden in a future release so that I do not have to recompile
> the source to change this.

Agree, I have opened

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-1468

to fix it.