Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net> on 2011/01/20 15:37:35 UTC

SimpleServer vs. SimpleUimaAsService

Hi,

we are using SimpleServer to create simple interfaces for calling Uima
pipelines from scripts in various languages, etc.

In order to use UIMA AS services in the same way we are using
SimpleUimaAsService, but that project is not actively maintained (see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-1918).  We got it to work
without any code changes by correcting the POM.  It seems to have some
issues reconnecting when the AS service is restarted, often needing a
restart of SimpleUimaAsService in Tomcat also.

UIMA AS services can also be used with SimpleServer using JMS
descriptors, but this doesn't seem to be documented (the official
documentation talks about using PearPath, the option to point directly
to a descriptor using DescriptorPath is a bit more hidden).  For this to
work a few more libs are needed.  We got it to work by including all
libraries we included for SimpleUimaAsService.

Going forward we need to decide which to use.  Are there advantages to
using SimpleUimaAsService, or should it simply be deprecated in favor of
SimpleServer + JMS descriptor?

Two options:
1) drop SimpleUimaAsService, add documentation for SimpleServer + JMS
2) revive SimpleUimaAsService, updating the POM

We have it working both ways, what should we do?

I'm not submitting the patches yet as we haven't updated
SimpleUimaAsService to the final 2.3.1 release yet, and haven't
determined exactly what libraries are needed for SimpleServer + JMS in
order to document that use.

Bye,
Jens

Re: SimpleServer vs. SimpleUimaAsService

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jens,

As I recall SimpleUimaAsService was unit tested but never used.
It is likely to be more useful when the UIMA-AS client API can
directly access asynchronous components in the same process.

For now SimpleServer via JMS should be fine. Please feel
free to contribute updates to SimpleUimaAsService too.

Libraries for SimpleServer should be the three uimaj-as jars
and the single ActiveMQ jar needed for clients (I'm guessing).

Regards,
Eddie