Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Guillaume Carbonneau <gu...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/06 20:45:12 UTC

Tomcat dying on its own

Hi everyone,
My tomcat server seems to die on its own without leaving any backtrace...

The  last info I get in the logs are :
Dec 3, 2010 6:11:35 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol pause
INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8077
Dec 3, 2010 6:11:36 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
INFO: Stopping service Catalina
Dec 3, 2010 6:11:36 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8077

Running The Apache Tomcat 6.0 (6.0.29)
Linux Oracle Red hat : 2.6.18-194.el5
java version "1.6.0_21"

This has happened more than once and will occur even if there is no
traffic. restarting brings it back up but it has proven to be
unreliable...

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 07.12.2010 12:27, Ronald Klop wrote:
> Op dinsdag, 7 december 2010 09:52 schreef Rainer Jung
> <ra...@kippdata.de>:
>> On 06.12.2010 23:36, Guillaume Carbonneau wrote:

>> When starting Tomcat interactively you should be aware that some
>> shells kill all child processes when you log out (or get logged out
>> automatically). There's "nohup" though.
>>
>> I'm not sure what kind of signal is used then, so I can't tell whether
>> the orderly shutdown messages in your logs contradict that theory or not.

> Nohup stands for 'no hup', so the signal is HUP and that means HANG-UP
> as in disconnect your modem. Only the modem is replaced with ssh nowadays.

Of course. Think before write. And yes, the HUP signal calls the
shutdown hook of the JVM, so Tomcat will shut down orderly when
receiving HUP. Result: it could also have been logout or auto-logout
from the shell.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.

Op dinsdag, 7 december 2010 09:52 schreef Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>:

> On 06.12.2010 23:36, Guillaume Carbonneau wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Konstantin Kolinko
> > <kn...@gmail.com>  wrote:

> >> At least, it is not a sudden death.
> >>
> >> Tomcat can be shut down by sending a certain string to port 8005 on
> >> localhost (see the first lines of server.xml),  ->  normal shutdown
> >> or by sending a system signal that causes JVM to exit, or by calling
> >> System.exit().
> >> ->  shutdown hook perform the shutdown
> >>
> >> You can install a Listener and print a stacktrace when the stop event
> >> happens.  The stack traces for the normal shutdown sequence and for
> >> the shutdown hook will be different.
> >>
> >> The Linux out-of-memory killer was already mentioned.
> >>
> >> BTW, you are not alone: such a thread happens here every 4-6 months.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Konstantin Kolinko

> > I seem to have solved the problem at least temporarily through this solution :
> > I installed the latest JDK on the deployed machine and ran tomcat
> > through catalina.sh debug, then "run"
> > No crash so far so good.
>
> When starting Tomcat interactively you should be aware that some shells kill all child processes when you log out (or get logged out automatically). There's "nohup" though.
>
> I'm not sure what kind of signal is used then, so I can't tell whether the orderly shutdown messages in your logs contradict that theory or not.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rainer

Nohup stands for 'no hup', so the signal is HUP and that means HANG-UP as in disconnect your modem. Only the modem is replaced with ssh nowadays.

Ronald.

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Guillaume Carbonneau <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> wrote:
> On 06.12.2010 23:36, Guillaume Carbonneau wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Konstantin Kolinko
>> <kn...@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> At least, it is not a sudden death.
>>>
>>> Tomcat can be shut down by sending a certain string to port 8005 on
>>> localhost (see the first lines of server.xml),  ->  normal shutdown
>>> or by sending a system signal that causes JVM to exit, or by calling
>>> System.exit().
>>> ->  shutdown hook perform the shutdown
>>>
>>> You can install a Listener and print a stacktrace when the stop event
>>> happens.  The stack traces for the normal shutdown sequence and for
>>> the shutdown hook will be different.
>>>
>>> The Linux out-of-memory killer was already mentioned.
>>>
>>> BTW, you are not alone: such a thread happens here every 4-6 months.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Konstantin Kolinko

>> I seem to have solved the problem at least temporarily through this
>> solution :
>> I installed the latest JDK on the deployed machine and ran tomcat
>> through catalina.sh debug, then "run"
>> No crash so far so good.
>
> When starting Tomcat interactively you should be aware that some shells kill
> all child processes when you log out (or get logged out automatically).
> There's "nohup" though.
>
> I'm not sure what kind of signal is used then, so I can't tell whether the
> orderly shutdown messages in your logs contradict that theory or not.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rainer

Thanks for the advice. I started it in a screen tho so it should be fine.

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Guillaume Carbonneau <gu...@gmail.com>.
<kn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/12/6 Guillaume Carbonneau <gu...@gmail.com>:
>> Hi everyone,
>> My tomcat server seems to die on its own without leaving any backtrace...
>>
>> The  last info I get in the logs are :
>> Dec 3, 2010 6:11:35 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol pause
>> INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8077
>> Dec 3, 2010 6:11:36 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
>> INFO: Stopping service Catalina
>> Dec 3, 2010 6:11:36 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy
>> INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8077
>>
>> Running The Apache Tomcat 6.0 (6.0.29)
>> Linux Oracle Red hat : 2.6.18-194.el5
>> java version "1.6.0_21"
>>
>> This has happened more than once and will occur even if there is no
>> traffic. restarting brings it back up but it has proven to be
>> unreliable...
>>

> At least, it is not a sudden death.
>
> Tomcat can be shut down by sending a certain string to port 8005 on
> localhost (see the first lines of server.xml),  -> normal shutdown
> or by sending a system signal that causes JVM to exit, or by calling
> System.exit().
> -> shutdown hook perform the shutdown
>
> You can install a Listener and print a stacktrace when the stop event
> happens.  The stack traces for the normal shutdown sequence and for
> the shutdown hook will be different.
>
> The Linux out-of-memory killer was already mentioned.
>
> BTW, you are not alone: such a thread happens here every 4-6 months.
>
> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

I seem to have solved the problem at least temporarily through this solution :
I installed the latest JDK on the deployed machine and ran tomcat
through catalina.sh debug, then "run"
No crash so far so good.

I might try tomcat 7 later too to see if it solves the issue....

Thanks for all the tips everyone

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Guillaume Carbonneau <gu...@gmail.com>.
i'm monitoring the process today (sending the same query every 5
seconds).  it crashed twice. i'm trying to figure out the pattern.
somehow I don't think it has to do with the number of requests

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/12/2010 12:51, André Warnier wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrote:
>>>>
>>> Naive suggestion : how about some global flag which the legitimate
>>> shutdown paths set (and the others don't know about), and which the
>>> "hook" in question checks ?
>>
>> As I said, been there, tried that.
>>
>> You can log when the shutdown command is used (Tomcat 7 does) but there
>> is no way to distinguish between a kill -15 and code calling
>> system.exit() (unless you run with a security manager as already
>> discussed).
>>
> Maybe what I suggested was misunderstood.
> The point was not to catch and label the unexpected reasons for stopping.
> The point was to clearly label the expected and "legal" ones.
> E.g.
> - Tomcat starts.  Flag string is set to "*unexpected shutdown*".
> - ... tomcat runs
> then either
>
> a) Tomcat told to shutdown by a "legal" part of the code.
>   Before that legal part of the code issues the shutdown signal, it
> resets the flag string to "hey, it's me who did that"
> OR
> b) Tomcat told to shutdown by some application doing a System.exit().
> That application does not reset the string, so it remains at
> "*unexpected shutdown*".
> OR
> c) Tomcat blown out of the water by a kill -9 to its JVM.  No logs,
> nothing.

You are missing d) Something triggers a kill -15 which is a *valid* way
to shut down Tomcat if it is user initiated.

There is no way to differentiate between b) and d). Further in case d)
there is no way to tell if it was initiated by a user (valid) or some
unexpected process (invalid). That is the problem here. Tomcat already
logs a). It is a given that there is no way to log c).

Mark

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 08/12/2010 23:23, André Warnier wrote:
>> Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> Been there, tried that. There is no easy way (I could find) to
>>> distinguish between a legitimate and illegitimate shut-down.
>>>
>> Naive suggestion : how about some global flag which the legitimate
>> shutdown paths set (and the others don't know about), and which the
>> "hook" in question checks ?
>
> As I said, been there, tried that.
>
> You can log when the shutdown command is used (Tomcat 7 does) but there
> is no way to distinguish between a kill -15 and code calling
> system.exit() (unless you run with a security manager as already discussed).

Maybe what I suggested was misunderstood.
The point was not to catch and label the unexpected reasons for stopping.
The point was to clearly label the expected and "legal" ones.
E.g.
- Tomcat starts.  Flag string is set to "*unexpected shutdown*".
- ... tomcat runs
then either

a) Tomcat told to shutdown by a "legal" part of the code.
   Before that legal part of the code issues the shutdown signal, it resets the flag
string to "hey, it's me who did that"
OR
b) Tomcat told to shutdown by some application doing a System.exit().  That application
does not reset the string, so it remains at "*unexpected shutdown*".
OR
c) Tomcat blown out of the water by a kill -9 to its JVM.  No logs, nothing.

Then, if the Coyote Connector shutdown code runs, it picks out the value of the flag, and
dumps it to the logfile.

In case (a), when then have a proper trace in the logs of who decided to shutdown.
In the others, we don't, so *we know* that it was not one of the "legal" ones, and we can
tell the OP for sure that it was not Tomcat code who did it.

Does that make sense ?

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Mark,

>>> There have been cases of libraries calling System.exit() on some error
>>> conditions.
>> Isn't there some indication of a System.exit() in catalina.out?
>>
>> If there isn't, we could write an optional Listener that could install a
>> shutdown hook that will complain to stdout if the JVM goes down without
>> Tomcat's "permission".
>
> Been there, tried that. There is no easy way (I could find) to
> distinguish between a legitimate and illegitimate shut-down.

Naive suggestion : how about some global flag which the legitimate shutdown paths set (and
the others don't know about), and which the "hook" in question checks ?

Other naive suggestion/question : something somewhere already intercepts a System.exit(),
if i judge by the shutdown messages of the Connectors.  How about making the flag a code
or string, which would indicate which legitimate agent triggered it, and which the things
which print the Connector shutdown messages obtain and duly add to their shutdown message
?  The absence of ditto (or the initialisation content of it) would be a telltale sign.

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@apache.org>.
I'm late to the party. But how about trying the following ...

1) Add a filter which runs first and logs the request. This WILL have a
performance impact - but a non-running application is a tad bit slower
than writing each request to disk. With luck - this may call out a class
of (or single) urls which can then be examined to see if you can
reproduce the app death.

2) Run all the code in the webapp through a decompiler and look for
System.exit() - then for all the spots where System.exit exists - then
see if that piece of code might be called. [warning: Depending on who
wrote the code, or the libraries used - this may violate some licenses.]

-Tim

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Victor Kabdebon <vi...@gmail.com>.
Your Linux may also be involved. If you have some weird configuration of
your system, it may kill/shutdown some services / applications.
But this is really puzzling

Victor Kabdebon
http://www.voxnucleus.fr

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Guillaume Carbonneau <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

RE: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Guillaume Carbonneau [mailto:guillaume.carbonneau@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat dying on its own

> My tomcat server seems to die on its own without leaving any backtrace...

Suggest you remove the System.exit() call that's in one of your webapps...

In all seriousness, that is the most likely culprit.  You can enable a SecurityManager to prevent such silliness (although that may prove to be a non-trivial exercise).

 - Chuck

RE: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Alex Carvalho da Silva [mailto:alexcs05@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat dying on its own

> How can I solve that problem?

First, don't resurrect old threads that were dead and buried months ago.  Second, start a new thread for your specific problem, and include pertinent details such as Tomcat version, the origin of your Tomcat download, the JVM level you're running under, and the platform you're running on.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat dying on its own

Posted by Alex Carvalho da Silva <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, but a discovered that my problem is generated by
logrotate. When logrotate runs, the tomcat pausing, stopping...
There is not a tomcat script on the /etc/logrotate.d/

How can I solve that problem?

Thanks,
Alex Carvalho