Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by John Stric <js...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/10 18:39:47 UTC

Search query speed

The speed of particular query has gone from about 42 msec to 66 msec
without any changes.

How do I go about troubleshooting what may have happened? And how do I
improve that speed?

Thanks

Re: Search query speed

Posted by Emir Arnautovic <em...@sematext.com>.
What are HW specs. 4 threads is not much but still makes test less
deterministic, especially in case when queries are not equally "heavy".

Can you also collect QTime from Solr response and see if differences are
caused by networking.

Emir

Re: Search query speed

Posted by John Stric <js...@gmail.com>.

Re: Search query speed

Re: Search query speed

Posted by Gopal Patwa <go...@gmail.com>.
You could start adding debug=true in your request, it will show complete
query execution time

Re: Search query speed

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.
John Stric <js...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The speed of particular query has gone from about 42 msec to 66 msec
> without any changes.

- Your JVM has allocated a bit more RAM, leaving less for disk cache.
- Your index has grown.
- The amount of concurrent requests has increased, pushing objects from Eden space to main heap, causing heavier garbage collection.
- A backup job is running.
- Another program has started, eating free mem from disk cache.
- Swap activity has increased.

The list goes on. Java performance is a fickle beast and Solr performance doubly so.

> How do I go about troubleshooting what may have happened?

Try to restore to a previous state and see if that changes response time: Shut down all running programs on the machine, start Solr again, warm it and test?

- Toke Eskildsen