Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Mark Southern <so...@scripps.edu> on 2013/03/20 15:05:50 UTC

SXSSF and images

I have been creating XSSF workbooks with large numbers of images. Nearly 2Gb of memory is consumed in the process. I switched to SXSSF to see if I could reduce the memory footprint but it does not seem to make a difference. Does SXSSF not cache the images to disk or might I be missing something? Thank you.

Re: SXSSF and images

Posted by Mark Beardsley <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
By no means am I an expert and I do not posses detailed knowledge of the
SXSSF stream but, as far as I do understand it, only the row information is
streamed out to the file. Images, as I am sure you are aware, are added to
the workbook rather than to an individual cell or cells and, for this
reason, the information will not be streamed out to the file but the in
memory representation will be parsed once you call the write method. If I am
correct, this is why you will be seeing the memory usage figures you
mention. It might be possible to amend the SXSSF stream in order to write
out the picture/image information in like manner. The best course of action
might well be to approach the original developer, Alex Geller.

As with everything, I could well be wrong but wanted to offer an opinion
rather than simply let the question languish on the list.