Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca> on 2016/01/20 22:32:29 UTC

Introduction and question on lattices and adapters

Hello Calcite devs!

I'm a PhD student at the database group of the University of Waterloo in
Ontario, Canada. My work has focused on schema optimization for NoSQL
databases (specifically Cassandra for the time being). You can see a piece
of my recent work at the link below where I developed an automated tool to
design efficient schemas for Cassandra based on a description of
application workloads.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/289372760_NoSE_Schema_Design_for_NoSQL_Applications

I'm really interested on getting involved in Calcite and I have two main
questions

1) What is the status of lattices in Calcite? I read the documentation (
https://calcite.apache.org/docs/lattice.html) but it's unclear what's been
implemented or how it works. Specifically, the documentation seems to
suggest that Calcite will automatically select tiles to create. Are there
any examples of using lattices I can look at?

2) Is there any work being done on an adapter for Cassandra or HBase? This
is something I would be interested in contributing to. I know the Phoenix
folks are working on integrating with Calcite, but it looks like their
implementation is too Phoenix-specific to enable the use of vanilla HBase.

Thanks!

Cheers,
--
Michael Mior
mmior@uwaterloo.ca

Re: Introduction and question on lattices and adapters

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca>.
Rajat,

I'll take a look at Quark. (I'm assuming this is the project you're
referring to: https://github.com/qubole/quark). I'll drop you a line if I
have any questions. Thanks!

Cheers,
--
Michael Mior
mmior@uwaterloo.ca

Posted by Rajat Venkatesh <rv...@qubole.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca>.
Thanks for the reply Hongbin!

I'm going to be looking more into Kylin and I'll drop in on the Kylin
mailing list once I've had a chance to get a better feel for how this might
fit in with some of the other work I'm doing.

Cheers,
--
Michael Mior
mmior@uwaterloo.ca

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 7:12 AM, Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Is there anything on the radar for Phoenix to suggest materialized views or
> indexes to users based on queries? This is something I'd be particular
> interested in. Being able to leverage the cost-based optimizer from Calcite
> makes this task much more approachable.

Yes, we already use the Calcite optimizer to choose between using an index
versus the data table. We also use it to determine join ordering and
strategy. We don't yet use it to choose between a range scan and a skip
scan[1] - this would be a good, self contained contribution to get your
feet wet. Another derivative of this is to force a skip scan when the
leading column in the primary key isn't being filtered.

[1] https://phoenix.apache.org/skip_scan.html

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca>.
I've played around with Phoenix a fair bit but I'm eager to learn more so
perhaps I will dig into some of those presentations when I get the chance.
I'm not familiar with Kylin, so I'll dig into it and see if anything
interesting jumps out. I'd love to find a something that makes an
interesting project while being simultaneously beneficial for the community.

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca>.
James,

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.