Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Hans Kool <ha...@planet.nl> on 2003/06/25 07:54:33 UTC

svn versus cvs question

Hi,

I am very interested in the subversion project and would like to see it
become the replacement of cvs soon. Related to that I have a question I
could not find an answer to in the FAQ or elsewhere on your site (excuse me
for stealing some of your time with this e-mail).

What IMHO would be useful is a complete CVS wrapper, i.e. a way to
transform CVS commands to SVN commands 'under water' so that tools that can
use cvs can automatically also use svn. For example: Borland JBuilder
integrates CVS support, but not SVN support (yet). If a wrapper existed
then JBuilder could be made to believe to be interacting with CVS while in
reality it would be interacting with SVN through it's CVS wrapper (facade).

I am not sure if this is possible, but if such a tool existed it could help
migration and adaptation of SVN very much. I know at least one person who
would love it! :-)

Can you tell me if you have foreseen in something like this to ease
migration towards subversion?

Success with the good work!

Hans Kool
mailto:hans.kool@planet.nl

Re: svn versus cvs question

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 10:01:35AM -0500, kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> The topic has come up before, but no one's written such a wrapper yet
> as far as I know.  Not sure how hard it would be; the mapping from CVS
> to SVN is probably closer than the mapping from SVN to CVS, at least.
>
> If you have a specific use in mind for such a wrapper, maybe you could
> write it so that it satisfies that use, and then contribute it to the
> tools/ area.  Once it's started, other people might contribute more
> compatibility...

One thing to consider: it's likely that a "cvs-like" wrapper around
svn will be some or all of the following:

	1.) incomplete, in terms of CVS features
	2.) incomplete, in terms of SVN features
	3.) flaky/finicky/brittle, due to subtle differences in
            semantics between simmilar commands (cvs up vs. svn up).

I think these issues could potentially be exacerbated by the use of
such a tool in an IDE; a human user might not use an obscure flag to
"cvs st", or might not rely as heavily on the precise semantics of a
particular operation as a computer program might.

--ben

Re: svn versus cvs question

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Hans Kool <ha...@planet.nl> writes:
> What IMHO would be useful is a complete CVS wrapper, i.e. a way to
> transform CVS commands to SVN commands 'under water' so that tools
> that can use cvs can automatically also use svn. For example: Borland
> JBuilder integrates CVS support, but not SVN support (yet). If a
> wrapper existed then JBuilder could be made to believe to be
> interacting with CVS while in reality it would be interacting with SVN
> through it's CVS wrapper (facade).
>
> I am not sure if this is possible, but if such a tool existed it could
> help migration and adaptation of SVN very much. I know at least one
> person who would love it! :-)
>
> Can you tell me if you have foreseen in something like this to ease
> migration towards subversion?

The topic has come up before, but no one's written such a wrapper yet
as far as I know.  Not sure how hard it would be; the mapping from CVS
to SVN is probably closer than the mapping from SVN to CVS, at least.

If you have a specific use in mind for such a wrapper, maybe you could
write it so that it satisfies that use, and then contribute it to the
tools/ area.  Once it's started, other people might contribute more
compatibility...

-Karl