Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> on 2012/12/10 11:13:28 UTC

Fwd: The bitter end of rsync-backed site management is coming Jan 1.

FYI.  I thought we were using svnpubsub?

--Thilo

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 12/10/2012 5:13 AM, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> FYI.  I thought we were using svnpubsub?

We are.  However, for large generated documentation things (like Javadocs, and
the docbook outputs (pdf and html), we did a "special arrangement" to keep these
out of SVN.  This was done by putting these kinds of things in
people.a.o/www/uima.apache.org/  in the special directory "d", instead of
checking them into SVN.

Infrastructure is now wanting us to stop that practice, and go back to putting
everything into SVN.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 12/11/2012 3:30 AM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Should we switch to the new CMS with markdown?
We currently use a fairly old system for our site generation.  It has a
significant degree of automation (in the form of Velocity macros) that do things
like handle the hard-to-update pages, such as the download page.  It also makes
use of css for "styling" the web pages consistently.

See for instance:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/site/trunk/uima-website/xdocs/stylesheets/project.xml
and
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/site/trunk/uima-website/docs/stylesheets/base.css

I think to move to CMS might align us better with where many sites are going,
but I'm not sure how much effort it would take to bring over these capabilities
into that approach.  I also don't (personally) feel the current approach is that
difficult to continue with, at least for now.  So I'm inclined to work on other
things :-) .

> Any opinions on how we should migrate the website?
I put in a Jira for fixing the website (no "migration" is needed - we're already
using svnpubsub (mostly).

It should be pretty easy.

-Marshall

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.