Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2012/11/20 09:11:48 UTC

Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Hi,

As I mentioned in the "welcome" mail. My primary goal is to create a maven plugin for compiling flex/air applications using maven.
Now in Flexmojos the compiler mojo is the biggest beast and also that having to deal with all the legacy stuff. Therefore I didn't want
to be to "inspired" by the Flexmojos counterpart, and thought that someone here on the list could eventually be really fit in how to
use the compiler(s) programmatically (Without whipping up the content of a commandline call and executing that using exec).

I know there seem to be multiple ways to remote control the compiler, unfortunately I don't quite know which approach is best.

So any input here greatly appreciated :)

Chris

Re: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.
I'm not so sure using the OEM API would really be that much of a shortcut,
because - as I described - you would have to wrap every single option. By
using the CLI you can wrap only those options that are much needed and
allow the user to still pass additional options as command line flags.

Posted by Yennick Trevels <ye...@gmail.com>.
One small correction though, in GradleFx we don't use the compc and mxmlc
Ant tasks(provided by flexTasks.tasks in the SDK), but we call the
compc.jar and mxmlc.jar files with Ant and we provide them the compiler
options as you would by using the command line.

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christofer,

AW: AW: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Buuuuuut ... thinking of it :-)

Mabe it would indeed be better to start with Falcon as this is definitely the future of Flex and Flexmojos already lets you build using MXMLC ... And I always wanted to start digging into it, but never actually found a usecase for it.
And as I posted yesterday evening ... having a local-guru around would definitely make things easier :-)

@Alex: Perhaps if Adobe were to publish the playerglobal and the airglobal (Don't need the runtime ... think mavenizing the Runtime is too much ... would simply use the runtimes from PATH).
Without those TWO swc-artifacts the final solution would always be half-baked (No matter what compiler) as no user could: "simply add the plugin and start coding flex". A user would always have to manually install the artifacts.
So what do you think? You make the one thing happen, and I'll do the second? ;-)

Chris

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I think this was what Velo was refering to as "FlexMojos Enterprize", his commercial Branch of FM.
But I agree, when starting from scratch, we should do it the right way so all the mobile stuff can be done too.

Chris

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
>If you look in an AIR SDK, there are lots of files in there.  Sure you
>might
only need to call adt.jar, but if you delete every other file in there
besides airglobal.swc, will you really get a valid AIR, AIRI, APK and
especially IPA?  I mean, the AIR runtime has to get processed into the IPA
right?  And the updater UI swfs in other packages?
And, I would still worry that adt.jar has some dependency

The adt.jar is completely autonomous, it contains the code for Air, llvm,
uck, pki, rsa, png, nai, ipa, apk, and some android stufs too.

>If you are pretty sure no other files are needed, let's actually try it.
Try using your mavenizer on a stripped down AIR SDK with only airglobal.swc
and adt.jar and see if you can create an IPA via maven.  Or I will put up a
couple of versions of those two files on a server somewhere and those of you
who use Maven can try to see if they can switch between them.

As I mentioned it before, It's not possible, at the moment, with flexmojos,
to generate anything else than AIR (that because is not relies on the
ADT.class but on the Air subpart, the AIRPackager), but, with a bit of
effort, I'm pretty sure it's possible the extend it to make it use the
ADT.class which can generate everything.

- Fred.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 11/26/2012 4:55 AM, Frédéric THOMAS wrote:

> Are this big companies really not using anything that doesn't have an
> open
> license?

  Interesting note about this; the default contract for one of my
current clients was that they had to own all code I delivered for them.
The wording was pretty explicit; and I pointed out that meant I would
not be able to make use of any open source software, such as
frameworks.  The project lead understood the implications right away,
but it still took some work to get legal to carve out an exception.

  The company in question uses plenty of things that don't have an open
license, though.  ( Windows and MacOS being two prime examples )

Re: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/26/12 1:55 AM, "Frédéric THOMAS" <we...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Because when you go to the download page, you have to accept the licensing
> terms.  Maven doesn't have any support for forcing people to accept
> licenses.  One option available to us is to provide Adobe with a Maven
> plug-in that will force a licensing dialog (once per machine, I suppose).
>

> Yes, it could be a solution even if it's not really in the maven spririt,
> let me understand something as I'm really noob in legal stuffs like
> licenceing, spring and hibernate are widely used in the java word, mainly
> via maven, the both have a licence, an apache licence for one and a gnu
> lesser general public licence for the second, shouldn't force people to
> accept their licence ?
Apache and GPL are relatively open licenses.  The Adobe license is pretty
restrictive and Adobe legal feels like you need to acknowledge that.

> Are this big companies really not using anything that doesn't have an open
> license?
>
> Yes, they do that with some artifacts but that's exeptions
How much would it limit our success if the AIR SDK is one of these
exceptions?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
>The main issue with Adobe making its stuff Maven friendly is legal.  There
is stuff in the AIR SDK that Adobe doesn't want to put in the "open" world.
It appears from my reading that plenty of other Maven apps are built with
closed source code via "mavenizers" that copy downloaded assets into local
repos.

I guess no company use this kind of approach we use with the mavenizer,
instead, they build their maven project, which generate eveything directly
mavenized.
A company may want to put some artifacts public without sources, that's a
common use but for what there's in Adobe SDKs, that's already public in some
way, everyone can already download them, what would be the point to not make
them available as well via Maven ?

>Why is this not ok for big companies?

For big companies, the common rule is to accept artifacts from few quite
known public repositories only and if the artifacts are not in snapshot
version, so, very far from what we propose via the mavenizer where they will
have to do things by hand.

>Christopher Dutz gave me the impression that all Adobe would have to do is
place a pom.xml alongside each playerglobal.swc.  Is there more to it?

You gonna discuss that with Chris I suppose but, for me and the work
experiences I've got, as Flex is an entreprise framework and as I told you,
the rule in big company is to accept artifact from known public repositories
only, if none of the Adobe SDKs become public, in my current knwoledge of
the thing, we close the door to the big company to use flexmojos 6 (the only
one that make use of the apache flex sdk), they will continue to use the old
flexmojos which work with the previous versions of the mavenized SDKs but
won't use the new one, maybe a futur flexmojos 7 which will deal only with
the apache flex sdk and with no Air.
The only way, with flexmojos 6, to open the door to big companies, is to
mavenize and make public the adobe sdks and the apache one.

>I'm confused where you said in the other response that adt.jar has
everything you need, but here you say the entire AIR SDK is needed.

Me too actually, the airglobal.swc and the adt.jar is apparently everything
needed, I don't know if the use of the updater, the file promized and the
other classes from the Air sdk are very used, but I guess that comes in
complement to the flex sdk, am I wrong ?

- Fred.

> The mavenizer replace at the moment the lack of public repositories, even
> if
> it's good enough for individuals and small companies, it is not for big
> ones.
The main issue with Adobe making its stuff Maven friendly is legal.  There
is stuff in the AIR SDK that Adobe doesn't want to put in the "open" world.
It appears from my reading that plenty of other Maven apps are built with
closed source code via "mavenizers" that copy downloaded assets into local
repos.  Why is this not ok for big companies?

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
He said, that he is sort of discontinuing everything regarding FM ... the thing he did mention was that if he was offered a certain amount of money, hey would merge the stuff from FM Enterprize back to normal FM.

Currently I am not really deep into AIR. I think there is a lot to be done before being able to work on the mobile packaging and stuff like that. The thing I will start on in the next weeks will definitely be the Compiler. As I am really interested in Falcon and Falcon will be the new official compiler, I would probably start with a plugin supporting this. Unfortuneately I guess the Compiler will probably be 75% of the work of the entire plugin suite. So I guess there will be some time until we can start on the packaging.

As I mentioned before ... I did sort of delay a lot of my job-work while getting FM and the Mavenizer running. I have to first sattisfy the needs of some of my customers, or I'll be having some serious trouble ... so don't expect a 0.1-beta to soon ;-)

Chris

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
>I think this was what Velo was refering to as "FlexMojos Enterprize", his
>commercial Branch of FM.
But I agree, when starting from scratch, we should do it the right way so
all the mobile stuff can be done too.

Ok.

Re: AW: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
>I'm not a Maven user, so maybe I'm unclear what the main use cases are.
>One
of the ones that I was told about was quickly updating to new versions of
Flex, and I assumed it might also mean updating to new versions of the
player or AIR SDK.

Switching SDK, is as easy as changing a property in only one pom.xml,
nothing else to do as soon as the SDK you want to use is mavenized
obviously, the player itself is not needed, we can specify the target
version but there's no dependencies.
During the SDK mavenization process (with the mavenizer), a relation between
Flex SDK and Air SDK is etablished, it's done by comparing the checksum of
the airglobal.swc inside each Air SDKs and the ones inside each Flex SDKs.

>but when building a .AIR file (and or an AIRI for signing) or a mobile
>package,
I'm pretty sure other parts of the AIR SDK are involved and that they might
change between AIR versions.

AFAIK, airglobal.swc and ADT only are needed for packaging into AIR, AIRI,
ANE, EXE, APK, IPA, ..., at the moment FlexMojos uses a class of the adt.jar
called AIRPackager and call the createAIR method instead of using the ADT
class, therefore it can package only  into AIR (which is already something
appreciated).

Not sure I anwsered at everything you want, only the things I understood you
want, ask again please for more precisions.

- Fred.

I'm not a Maven user, so maybe I'm unclear what the main use cases are.  One
of the ones that I was told about was quickly updating to new versions of
Flex, and I assumed it might also mean updating to new versions of the
player or AIR SDK.

I can see dropping in new versions of playerglobal.swc or airglobal.swc, but
when building a .AIR file (and or an AIRI for signing) or a mobile package,
I'm pretty sure other parts of the AIR SDK are involved and that they might
change between AIR versions.

Or can you install an AIR SDK once and change airglobal versions and it will
all work?

-Alex

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: AW: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Buuuuuut ... thinking of it :-)

Mabe it would indeed be better to start with Falcon as this is definitely the future of Flex and Flexmojos already lets you build using MXMLC ... And I always wanted to start digging into it, but never actually found a usecase for it.

@Alex: Perhaps if Adobe were to publish the playerglobal and the airglobal (Don't need the runtime ... think mavenizing the Runtim is too much ... would simply use the runtimes from PATH).
Without those TWO artifacts the final solution would always be half-baked (No matter what compiler) as no user could: "simply add the plugin and start coding flex" :-)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Alex,

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 11/21/12 9 :16AM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

>I'm could be wrong but I'm sure this API was orginally done so that

that should have been "I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this API was
originally done so that"

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Here's a link to that API:
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/compilerAPI_flex3.pdf

I guess the main advantage was that you were able to load the compiler once and reuse that instance throughout your build. This dramatically reduced the build time, because the compiler didn't have to load up to 3 times (Main, Test, ASDoc) for every Maven module.

Chris

Hmmm I think this is the way Flexmojos used to work in the old days, but has since switched to using the oem-compiler thingy ... don't 100% understand what that is into all details, but as far as I understand, it's an API for directly communicating with the Compiler mainly used by OEMs for creating IDEs and Tools utilizing Flex.

I recall this had a great performance improvement over the command-line wrapping solution, so this is more the way I am going to choose. Anyway ... the compiler is Java and so I would like to instantiate it and communicate with it directly using some pre-defined API.

Chris

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christofer,