Posted to dev@hop.apache.org by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/10 16:56:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Documentation Location

Hi All,

When we started this project we started with a separate documentation
repository [1].

While this seemed a great idea at the time I would like to come back to
this subject. I would like to propose to merge our documentation to our
source code repository.

There are three main advantages:
- Single source for releases
- Simpler testing
- More advanced asciidoc features

When creating a release we will automatically have a branch that contains
the documentation that is valid for that release, at this point in time
this is a non-issue as we are not yet creating versions of our
documentation and everything is still aligned, but when we move forward
parts of the documentation will become deprecated or linked to a specific
version.

If we single source our documentation we can include a basic version of our
documentation website to our code repository this will make it simpler to
see what the end result will look like. It allows you to do changes in an
adoc file and instantly see the new version in a browser the same way it
will be represented on the website.

Asciidoc has features where you can include snippets/classes/methods of
your source code in your documentation, they are dynamically linked. This
means that if the method changes the docs will be updated instantly. Though
we would have to test if these features work in our current setup this can
be a great addition to our developer documentation.

As always this mail is to gather feedback and your opinion on the matter
before we start changing things.

Cheers,
Hans

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-hop-docs

Re: [DISCUSS] Documentation Location

Posted by fp...@apache.org.
Hi,

+1, I think it will be easier to sync the documentation with the source
code.

regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org

Posted by Bart Maertens <ba...@know.bi>.
Hi Hans,

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

This mail is to inform you all that the documentation has been moved and is
now included in the main repository.
The builds have been adjusted accordingly to pick up the documentation from
the new location.

All plugin documentation that was included in the code repository has also
been moved to its new location.

Writing docs should now be less of a hassle and linked to their release
version, a live preview mode has also been added, we will clean up the
instructions on how to contribute and work on our documentation in the
following days.

Cheers,
Hans

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.