Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Boris Stoyanov <bo...@shapeblue.com> on 2021/06/09 11:38:17 UTC

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts on Management Server.

Not everyone uses vimium browser plugin, I think it would be great if we can get this working cross-browser.

Here’s the original GSOC Idea: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/4798

Bobby.

From: Rakesh Venkatesh <ww...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 9 June 2021, 14:29
To: dev <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Keyboard Shortcuts on Management Server.
I usually use vimium plugin which has keyboard shortcuts for all links in a
webpage which is much more handy

--
Thanks and regards
Rakesh venkatesh

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts on Management Server.

Posted by Boris Stoyanov <bo...@shapeblue.com>.
Having to install a separate plugin is not really sustainable. We’re planning to add small labels next to the major links so that shows which key is the shortcut so no memorizing will be needed(like vimium does but not dynamically, shortcuts will have the same keys all the time)

I also like and use vimium but with the new UI it’s simply not working. Pressing f and then the key combination for the ‘Compute’ for example does not get you to the page, that’s why we can’t rely on additional browser plugins for this.

Thanks,
Bobby.

From: Rakesh Venkatesh <ww...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 9 June 2021, 14:46
To: users <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Cc: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>
I looked at the GSOC idea. I have feedback on this

1. Need to memorize the shortcut which is not so good
2. only a limited set of shortcuts as of now.. if it grows then more
memorization

If we use vimium or similar plugin

cons

need to spend time installing in browsers

pros

very less memorization
more shortcuts
no need for source code change if more tabs/panes or whatever is added to
ui future. (just press F and you are good to go)

--
Thanks and regards
Rakesh venkatesh

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts on Management Server.

From: Rakesh Venkatesh <ww...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 9 June 2021, 14:46
To: users <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Cc: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>

--
Thanks and regards
Rakesh venkatesh

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts on Management Server.

Posted by Rakesh Venkatesh <ww...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks and regards
Rakesh venkatesh

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts on Management Server.

Posted by Rakesh Venkatesh <ww...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks and regards
Rakesh venkatesh