Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de> on 2003/11/05 15:00:02 UTC

svn update -N breaks working copy? (At least a little bit)

Hi...

A few minutes ago I observed something strange with svn update...

Imagine your a with your shell in a folder in your beloved working copy.

ls results in:
file   folder1   folder2

Now you do:
svn update
rm -rf folder1/
svn update -N
svn update -N
svn update

What do you expect to happen after last svn update?
Well I expected to get back folder1, but nope it is not coming back!

When I do a 'svn update folder1' I get this error message:
svn: warning: svn_wc_is_wc_root: 'folder1' is not a versioned resource.

To get back folder1 I had to discard the current folder and update from one
folder above.

A bug? I am using subversion 0.32.1. It appears that it is triggered by the
2 times 'svn update -N'

Roland

Re: svn update -N breaks working copy? (At least a little bit)

Posted by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de>.

Hi....

cmpilato@localhost.localdomain wrote on 05.11.2003 17:29:43:
> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 09:55, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> >
> > > Flies and Buicks...  This is pretty basic CVS-supported functionality
> > > that I feel should be present in our 1.0.
> >
> > You think implementing --depth throughout our command-set is a "fly" of
> > a problem?  Really?
>
> CVS doesn't have --depth.  But it does have -N.  And even when we add
> --depth, we will continue to have -N as a convenient functional alias
> for --depth=1.  The "fly" is this recent bug involving 'svn up -N'.
> Determination of the Buick is left as an exercise to the reader.

So well... Even this is IMHO yet not the most critical stuff to fix,
the performance/scalability stuff is much more burning in my eyes, but
just out of curiosity, will this be fixed in an upcoming release?

Posted by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de>.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de>.

Hi...

Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> wrote on 05.11.2003 16:27:54:

> On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 09:00, Roland Schwingel wrote:
>
> > A bug? I am using subversion 0.32.1. It appears that it is triggered by
the
> > 2 times 'svn update -N'
>
> This is crazy.  We need to get rid of the -N flag for 'svn up' before
> svn-1.0.  It's way too confusing, and barely works at all.  I'd rather
> nuke it, and then implement a true --depth= argument in svn 1.1.
Well. I like the feature to not recursive update certain folders!
(The case above is just constructed to reproduce the problem, not the real
 world way to use it).Often I do have a larger trees, and from commit mails
I know what has changed so updating just the current folder is much nicer,
than updating the whole tree because it is much faster...

Posted by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.