Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> on 2011/07/06 21:02:31 UTC

[DISCUSS] Creation of ooo-security List

[I am reminded that the best way to talk to the PPMC is on ooo-dev and there is benefit in so doing.  Here goes.]

PROPOSAL

ooo-security@incubator.a.o be set up as a private list and a selection of not more than 10 security-aware PPMC members be subscribed to it.  We need to work out what the composition would be.  The list will be automatically forward to security@a.o.  I assume that there might be security-aware ooo-podling mentors and other ASF Members included in the small PPMC subscription.

DETAILS

General information about the Apache Security Team:
<http://www.apache.org/security/>

More details on the handling of security and vulnerabilities by committers and the role of the [P]PMC:
<http://www.apache.org/security/committers.html>

Note that creation of a security page on our web site is also part of this.  That should happen near-immediately also.

BACKGROUND

I have been nosing around in document-related security areas and that has led me to inquire what the arrangements need to be for discussing security issues, identified vulnerabilities, proposed mitigations, etc.

I've learned that the Apache approach is for each PMC taking the lead in handling security matters related to its releases.  To maintain the security of security matters, the practice is to have a private list (for us, ooo-security) with not more than ten security-aware subscribers.

Since we may have "common-mode" issues with respect to the use of our common code base and implementation behaviors, it may be necessary to coordinate with other teams, including the LibreOffice security team, in our case.  We'll have to work that out on an individual-case basis, I suspect.  I don't know if we have any PPMC members who are also on that team, and I don't know what the structure was for OpenOffice.org and who may have been involved.

 - Dennis

Re: [DISCUSS] Creation of ooo-security List

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.
In some ways, the larger the security group, the quicker the solution rate.
Security patched will need to be checked before they are committed, so the
issue fixed doesn't break 3 other parts of the code.

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
On 07.07.2011 02:21, Greg Stein wrote:

> I don't believe that we need our own security address since I doubt
> we'll have that many *incoming* issues. Those reports can go to
> security@apache.org, and that team will forward them to the PPMC.
"Many" is a quantity that is hard to compare with ;-). From past
experience it seems that the number of incoming issues increased in the
last years. Not because our code became worse, but because more people
looked for security holes systematically.

Besides that, I tend to agree that we shouldn't start with an own
security list before we are sure that the Apache list can't handle the
number of incoming issues.

Regards,
Mathias

Re: [DISCUSS] Creation of ooo-security List

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Apache Subversion used to have its own security mailing list before it
came to the Apache Software Foundation. We decided that the *influx*
of security problems was low enough that we left that mailing list
behind. Today, we rely entirely on security@apache.org for external
entities to report problems[1].

Note that there are two purposes for security@apache.org:

1) external users report problems here
2) it is the Apache Security Team, and is used to contact them and to
keep them in the discussion loop.

On the page you referenced[2], all of the steps talk about the
"project team". That is not a subset of the PMC. That *is* the PMC.
The entire PMC is responsible for the project.

As an example, the Apache Subversion project manages the entire
response to a problem on private@subversion.a.o, keeping
security@apache.org cc'd on the discussion. We produce the patch, get
it tested, and use our private repository to develop the CVE text
(after we request CVE(s) from the security@ folks)

private@subversion.a.o has several dozen people on it. Probably more.

One key is to ensure that the people on the (P)PMC list understand
what the security response protocol looks like. They need to
understand that we keep it private until the vulnerability is ready
for disclosure. That disclosure typically includes CVE notices, and it
includes a pre-notification to a list of people (we keep that list in
svn, too, along with a script to send them the notification). Anybody
that we feel has an interest and impact in hearing about svn
vulnerabilities is asked (eg. packagers and big hosting companies).

Once the Apache OO.o PPMC has a solid understanding, or at least a
solid agreement in *confidentiality*, then security issues can be
handled on ooo-private@incubator.a.o.

I don't believe that we need our own security address since I doubt
we'll have that many *incoming* issues. Those reports can go to
security@apache.org, and that team will forward them to the PPMC.

Cheers,
-g

[1] http://subversion.apache.org/security/
[2] http://www.apache.org/security/committers.html

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 18:35, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> Well, vulnerabilities are vulnerabilities and if there is an exposure in current code or in documents produced in current code, isn't that a concern for us now?  Why would it not be?
>
> Also, I don't presume that everyone is downstream from us (as opposed to the OpenOffice.org that once was).
>
> I think of LibreOffice as a mutual stakeholder because it seems they have a security team too and like it or not, they are cranking out releases very quickly and may be able to provide mitigations, hypothetically, months before we ever get a release of ours out the door.

We can get guidance from the Apache Security Team on this. I suspect
they would concur: work with the development/security teams of people
development forks of OOo. Downstream users would presumably get a
standard pre-notification email.

> I don't know about the details of having that work.  I do know if I uncover a problem, I am going to communicate it to every security-conscious entity I can.

The best answer is to ask Security for advice here. There is an
industry-standard approach to this kind of notification.

> To make this conversation concrete: I have security issues I want to raise, which is what had me looking into this in the first place.  I would like to do this in a manner that is in keeping with concerns for dealing with security matters privately to ensure that there is competent review and no danger attached to premature disclosure.  (I suspect not, because the vulnerabilities I am aware of exist in plain sight, but I want the counsel of someone having more security experience than I before saying, "Heck, I need something for today's blog post, why not stir things up with this?")

Start with security@apache.org, and go from there.

Cheers,
-g

Re: [DISCUSS] Creation of ooo-security List

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Then please report them to security@a.o and/or ooo-private@.

RE: [DISCUSS] Creation of ooo-security List

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I didn't say there were no other mutual stakeholders.  I mentioned one whose security list I knew about already.  It does raise interesting questions for when concerted action is desirable though.

I am not confusing security fixes with other fixes.  However, slip-streaming some easy things is clearly an opportunity at LO at the moment.  I can imagine some changes not even being announced as security fixes.  I don't know about slip-streaming at IBM, RedOffice, Oracle, Microsoft, etc.

 - Dennis

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I thought the way security-related patches and releases are to be handled is spelled out clearly enough in the two web pages I linked to.

I suppose we know that an ooo-security@i.a.o is working when security fixes show up.  There is every reason to cloak such an operation in stealth and not announce anything about submissions received, work in progress, etc., until a vulnerability is addressed in public.

I am raising my particular concerns with security@ and the apparent equivalent at The Document Foundation.  Depending on what the gating rules are for submissions to those lists, I am not sure when and what I might hear back.

 - Dennis

Perhaps it will turn out that there are some of individuals involved in all of AOOo, LibreOffice and Security that can informally handle the multiple "hats". That might avoid a formal arrangement. But maybe a formal agreement would be good.

I think that if we do have a security list that they will need to give nonspecific information so that the community can sense that issues are being solved. We may very well need to eventually have a security patch schedule that is not too frantic. (Firefox 5 or bust, corporations can just have their IE)

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Dennis,