Posted to dev@yetus.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> on 2019/08/21 19:15:37 UTC

Adjusting the verbosity of test results as posted to bug systems

Hi folks,

In the projects in which I participate, the Yetus feedback on patch
pre-commit is really useful, but it's also extremely verbose. I find this
disruptive in a JIRA or a Github PR comment because it distracts from what
I see as the primary purpose of those systems: interactions between people.
Scrolling through 6+ precommit build reports to find the next comment from
a human isn't supportive of collaboration. In short, I think that
everything below the "+1 Overall" line should be hidden by default.

I'm wondering if the template used to generate the output can be modified
such that it leads with the summary but then hides the rest behind a
section that is collapsed by default. For instance, I found the
details/summary tags [0] for use with Github and the expand macro [1] on
JIRA. A related question: how can a project customize the template used to
generate these messages back to the bug system? From what I can tell, the
report content is built by precommit/src/main/shell/test-patch.sh but I
don't see any hooks into a template system.

Thanks,
Nick

[0]:
https://gist.github.com/pierrejoubert73/902cc94d79424356a8d20be2b382e1ab
[1]: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/expand-macro-223222352.html

Re: Adjusting the verbosity of test results as posted to bug systems

Posted by Sean Busbey <se...@gmail.com>.
One thing I've seen some folks do for CI results on JIRA is put the
results on the work log instead of in the comments. we could look at
making it easier to do that via yetus. Personally I don't care for it
since I think the vast majority of developers then ignore the
feedback.

--
Sean

Re: Adjusting the verbosity of test results as posted to bug systems

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.