Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Andreas Bulling <sp...@phoenix.hadiko.de> on 2006/02/11 18:22:45 UTC

Howto setup Eclipse/Ant and JBoss?

Hi everybody,

after fighting with Eclipse, Ant and JBoss for 6 hours now I decided
to write to this list as my last hope - Even if the question is not
directly related to Tapestry (it's a Tapestry application but
the main problem is ant). Searching the web and trying to adapt
the few example scripts also didn't help/work :(

As I think the setup/script I want isn't that extraordinary I hope
someone can help me perhaps just by providing his own build.xml
ant script as a template. Thanks a lot in advance for any answer/help!

First, let me describe what I have/need:
My application is very similar to the vlib example which means
I have a presentation tier (Tapestry) and a j2ee tier with
some EJBs. First I had one single Eclipse project but I recognized
that this doesn't seem to be the preferred setup (is that right? vlib
is also splitted up...)
So I splitted the project into "project" and "projectbeans"
(does this allow to "hot-swap"/change the presentation tier
without touching the j2ee tier as mentioned in "Tapestry in Action"?)

To only run the presentation tier I didn't need any ant script at all:
JBoss loaded the pages without any problems. But for the j2ee
tier I need a ear-file (again: is that right? First I didn't have any
EJBs but as I created some it didn't work, I got JNDI errors and
thought that this has to do with )

But that's the problem: I think I need two different ant scripts
which build the "project" and "projectbeans" Eclipse projects from
different workspace directories, create one single war file
and deploy them to JBoss afterwards (right?).

Is someone out there who uses the same setup and can provide
a sample ant script? Or is the setup totally wrong and another
one would be better?

I "dream" of being able to just click on "Run as ant build" in
Eclipse and having the whole application build and deployed
to JBoss's webapp directory automatically.

Sincerly,
  Andreas