Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ralph Goers <Ra...@digitalinsight.com> on 2004/03/12 18:24:13 UTC

RE: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Co coon's Rhino+continuations fork)

Lets take this to the extreme.  Pretend that Rhino was a GPL license.  Sure
I could download Rhino and get a running Cocoon.  But I could never sell a
product based on Cocoon unless I make my customers also download Rhino (and
I'm not sure even that would be legal).  Since so many parts of Cocoon want
to leverage Flow these days this would make the situation impossible.

And although Rhino isn't GPL, from what I read of the Mozilla license it
also has the requirement that anything that it is packaged with must also be
under the Mozilla license, which makes it just as bad as the GPL from a
commercial standpoint.

I don't mean to pick on Rhino in particular here, but it is a convenient
example.

Ralph

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Litrik De Roy wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:

>> And although Rhino isn't GPL, from what I read of the Mozilla license it
>> also has the requirement that anything that it is packaged with must
>> also be
>> under the Mozilla license, which makes it just as bad as the GPL from a
>> commercial standpoint.
>>
>> Ralph
>>

> Hum.... that's the same impression I got after reading the responses on
> this list by some of the Mozilla people.
>
> But there seems to be a difference in the MPL
> (http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html) between modifying source code
> and using the executable in a larger piece of software.
>
> When you modify the source code 3.1 clearly states that these
> modifications should be MPL as well: "The Modifications which You create
> or to which You contribute are governed by the terms of this License".
>
> But when you simply use the executable version of MPL code in a larger
> piece of software 3.7 says the following:
> "You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered Code with other code
> not governed by the terms of this License and distribute the Larger Work
> as a single product. In such a case, You must make sure the requirements
> of this License are fulfilled for the Covered Code."
>
> Note that the end of the line says "Covered Code" and not "Larger Work".
> So the "Covered Code" that is MPL, stays MPL. But anything surrounding
> it ("Larger Work") does *not* automatically become MPL as well . This is
> (IMHO) the difference with GPL.

you are 100% correct.

The MPL is *NOT* a reciprocal license (viral is a bad term) in respect
to the code that surrounds it, but it is for the modifications inside.

So, this means that if Chris puts those modifications under the MPL 1.1,
we are kosher.

Anyway, people, let's not freak out: there is *NOTHING* going on to
change the status quo. What you were able to do yesterday with the code,
you are able to do today and you'll be able to continue to do tomorrow.

Period.

The ASF is just trying cover all possible ass here, so that we can serve
our users better in order to guarantee that we'll still be around tomorrow.

Because, since SCO arrived in town you never know.

--
Stefano.

Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Co coon's Rhino+continuations fork)

Posted by Litrik De Roy <co...@litrik.com>.
Ralph Goers wrote:

>And although Rhino isn't GPL, from what I read of the Mozilla license it
>also has the requirement that anything that it is packaged with must also be
>under the Mozilla license, which makes it just as bad as the GPL from a
>commercial standpoint.
>
>Ralph

Hum.... that's the same impression I got after reading the responses on
this list by some of the Mozilla people.

But there seems to be a difference in the MPL
(http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html) between modifying source code
and using the executable in a larger piece of software.

When you modify the source code 3.1 clearly states that these
modifications should be MPL as well: "The Modifications which You create
or to which You contribute are governed by the terms of this License".

But when you simply use the executable version of MPL code in a larger
piece of software 3.7 says the following:
"You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered Code with other code
not governed by the terms of this License and distribute the Larger Work
as a single product. In such a case, You must make sure the requirements
of this License are fulfilled for the Covered Code."

Note that the end of the line says "Covered Code" and not "Larger Work".
So the "Covered Code" that is MPL, stays MPL. But anything surrounding
it ("Larger Work") does *not* automatically become MPL as well . This is
(IMHO) the difference with GPL.

But IANAL...

--

Litrik De Roy
www.litrik.com

Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Co coon's Rhino+continuations fork)

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
> Lets take this to the extreme.  Pretend that Rhino was a GPL license.  Sure
> I could download Rhino and get a running Cocoon.  But I could never sell a
> product based on Cocoon unless I make my customers also download Rhino (and
> I'm not sure even that would be legal).  Since so many parts of Cocoon want
> to leverage Flow these days this would make the situation impossible.

Well, since you put it to the extreme - you got a point

> And although Rhino isn't GPL, from what I read of the Mozilla license it
> also has the requirement that anything that it is packaged with must also be
> under the Mozilla license, which makes it just as bad as the GPL from a
> commercial standpoint.

I guess the problem is that "packaging with" is a bit blurry.

What are we talking about? What a about a RH CD which
comes with Mozilla, which is under MPL. Does all packages
on the CD have to be under MPL?

I personally don't think downloading-on-demand is
really that bad at all. (If done nicely!) But let's wait
what the board comes up with. It may or may not expose
this discussion being a waste of time ;)
--
Torsten