Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by bajistaman <ba...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/06 14:28:51 UTC

Tomcat Farm Deployment and Statistics

Is there a way to distribute the deployment of an application through many
tomcat's farm instances in different machines setting a context path that is
different than the war's name?

Is there a way to centrally collect statistics of usage of all of the
tomcat's farm instances?

Thanks,

Johann

RE: Tomcat Farm Deployment and Statistics

Posted by bajistaman <ba...@gmail.com>.
Have you tried the "Client Deployer Package"?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: bajistaman [mailto:bajistaman@gmail.com]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat Farm Deployment and Statistics
>
> I was reading about JMX and Tomcat and I wonder if is it
> better (more secure?) to do it at the low level as you
> suggested or by using the JMX API?

I think using JMX would make it more complicated and may well decrease
security since there would be yet another port open into Tomcat; others
may have differing opinions.

However, your reference to JMX did remind me of Lambda Probe
(www.lambdaprobe.org), which is a very useful Tomcat monitoring tool.
I've never tried it in a Tomcat clustering environment, but it does
appear to have some support for that.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: Tomcat Farm Deployment and Statistics

Posted by bajistaman <ba...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Charles, I was reading about JMX and Tomcat and I wonder if is it

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: bajistaman [mailto:bajistaman@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat Farm Deployment and Statistics
>
> Is there a way to distribute the deployment of an application
> through many tomcat's farm instances in different machines
> setting a context path that is different than the war's name?

If you want a path different from the name of the .war file, then the
webapp must be located outside of any <Host> element's appBase
directory.  The webapp is then deployed by creating a
conf/Catalina/[host]/[appPath].xml file containing a <Context> element
with an appropriate docBase attribute.  (This will override any
META-INF/context.xml file that's inside the webapp.)  You'll have to do
this on each Tomcat instance, of course, but the whole process can be
scripted as needed.

> Is there a way to centrally collect statistics of usage of all of the
> tomcat's farm instances?

You got me - I'm a city boy.  Filip?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.