Posted to users@maven.apache.org by jthomp <jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/06 21:37:15 UTC

Re: distributing multiple versions of sites to URLs containing the version number

I'm trying to do the exact same thing that Jerome was asking about and ran
into the same problem.  His post received no replies, so does that mean
something like this is not possible or is there some other way to do this
that I overlooked?

As a workaround, I'm thinking about dropping the extra ${project.artifactId}
and leaving just the ${project.version} which is not ideal since it doesn't
work w/ projects that have sub-modules at different version numbers and it
will make ad-hoc browsing trickier since you have to know in advance the
version of a particular project.

I'm surprised others haven't run into this before.

Thoughts?

-JT

Posted by William Ferguson <Wi...@yarris.com>.
I have the same requirement - versioning of sites.

In order to have a parent POM that safely defines inheritable site URLs
(which is what you are asking for) requires resolution of

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3244

Which *was* done for maven-2.0.8 but was then rolled back as changed
existing behaviour.
We need a solution that can be configured such that it just resolves the
inherited site URL and a default behaviuour (to support existing
projects) where it automagically appaends the child artifactId to the
inherited site URL.

Vote for it and arc up on the dev list proposing a backwards compatible
solution.

William

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
There is currently no built-in support for versioned sites in
maven-site-plugin. Discussions about this has appeared from time to time
on this list though.

jthomp wrote:
> I'm trying to do the exact same thing that Jerome was asking about and ran
> into the same problem.  His post received no replies, so does that mean
> something like this is not possible or is there some other way to do this
> that I overlooked?
>
> As a workaround, I'm thinking about dropping the extra ${project.artifactId}
> and leaving just the ${project.version} which is not ideal since it doesn't
> work w/ projects that have sub-modules at different version numbers and it
> will make ad-hoc browsing trickier since you have to know in advance the
> version of a particular project.
>
> I'm surprised others haven't run into this before.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -JT
>

> Jerome Lacoste-2 wrote:
>> I am trying to deploy each version of a site to a different URL, and
>> use a single configuration in a parent pom. Given a project:
>>
>> P1
>> - M1
>> - M2
>>
>> where P1 inherits its config from a P0 master pom.
>>
>> My intent is to obtain something like:
>>
>> P1 be: http://my.domaine.com/projects/P1/${project.version}/
>> M1 be: http://my.domaine.com/projects/P1/${project.version}/M1
>>
>> It works if I specify <url> for the pom and distributionManagement in
>> each project, but I am trying to get it to work in a single pom.
>>

>> I tried various things, including
>>
>>   <distributionManagement>
>>     <site>
>>
>> <url>http://my.domaine.com/projects/${project.artifactId}/${project.version}/
>>
>> in P0
>>
>> P1 gets http://my.domaine.com/projects/P1/${project.version}/P1
>> and
>> M1 gets http://my.domaine.com/projects/M1/${project.version}/P1/M1
>>
>> I could live with the superfluous P1 for the moment, but the P1
>> replaced by M1 obviously breaks browsing...
>>
>> Any comment?
>>
>> Anyone else dealing with versionned sites ?
>>
>> Jerome

Dennis Lundberg