Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org> on 2004/03/21 21:09:57 UTC

[VOTE] which OS for new gump machine?

The new IBM boxen arrived, and infrastructure@ will be installing them
this week. There's been quite a bit of talk about which OS to run on the
machine. From the looks of it, we're probably getting Red Hat Enterprise
Linux v3 (RHEL3).

This is a quick vote to be sure we're in agreement that's a sane choice.
Please place your votes:

[] Linux
    [] RHEL
    [] Debian
[] FreeBSD (probably 5.2.x)

you don't have to vote if you have no clue or no preference. Please
include rationale for choosing one over another...infrastructure may be
interested...

In addition, understand infra may decide otherwise based on other
concerns (like having to maintain only a finite amount of operating
systems).

As an aside, any chance one or two of the gump peeps could get root on
the gump box? We've found that to be very handy every now and then :-D

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: [VOTE] which OS for new gump machine?

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> [+1] Linux
>    [+1] RHEL
>    [+1] Debian
> [] FreeBSD (probably 5.2.x)

I'm afraid some java projects will fail to build on BSD because,
basically, not that many people build for/on BSD. Also, I'm just a lot
more familiar with linux myself.

Java support on RHEL is a little better than on debian I think; both
Debian and RH will work well enough though. IMHO the distro choice is
more of a concern for infra@ than it is for us.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 21:43, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
> > The new IBM boxen arrived, and infrastructure@ will be installing them
> > this week. There's been quite a bit of talk about which OS to run on the
> > machine. From the looks of it, we're probably getting Red Hat Enterprise
> > Linux v3 (RHEL3).
> >
> > This is a quick vote to be sure we're in agreement that's a sane choice.
> > Please place your votes:
> >
> > [] Linux
> >    [] RHEL
> >    [] Debian
> > [] FreeBSD (probably 5.2.x)
>
> My vote is for Debian.  I initially switched to Debian for my own
> personal use when Red Hat end of lifed the non-Enterprise version of the
> OS, but I quickly fell in love with apt-get.
>
> If any help is needed administering this box, count me in.  I have some
> prior experience in configuring Gump boxes, and would like to become
> reacquainted with the Python branch.  ;-)
>
> - Sam Ruby

Hmm, I went to Fedora after the EOL on Redhat 9 was announced, which
supports just about everything that was going on with the old Redhat
series. I think of it as Redhat 9.1. I'm quite happy with yum, up2date
and with the JPackage efforts, I can easily manage via rpm's the
installation of Java and many Apache Java projects with little to no
effort.

-Mark

--
Mark R. Diggory
Software Developer - VDC Project

Re: [VOTE] which OS for new gump machine?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> The new IBM boxen arrived, and infrastructure@ will be installing them
> this week. There's been quite a bit of talk about which OS to run on the
> machine. From the looks of it, we're probably getting Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux v3 (RHEL3).
>
> This is a quick vote to be sure we're in agreement that's a sane choice.
> Please place your votes:
>
> [] Linux
>    [] RHEL
>    [x] Debian

Debian.

> [] FreeBSD (probably 5.2.x)

java support on freebsd sucks ass.

> you don't have to vote if you have no clue or no preference. Please
> include rationale for choosing one over another...infrastructure may be
> interested...
>
> In addition, understand infra may decide otherwise based on other
> concerns (like having to maintain only a finite amount of operating
> systems).
>
> As an aside, any chance one or two of the gump peeps could get root on
> the gump box? We've found that to be very handy every now and then :-D

yes, that would be reduce some of the infrastructure concerns a lot.

--
Stefano.