Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Joakim Verona <jo...@verona.se> on 2005/04/27 01:33:36 UTC

WCK setup problems

Hello list,

I'm trying to get the WCK demo working, but I'm experiencing some
problems.

Heres what I've done so far:

- I'm using a jpackage environment, and the jpackage ant didnt work
  for some reason with, so I built an ordinary ant, which works

- I've set the catalina.dist to /usr/share/tomcat5, which is
  supposedly correct for jpackage tomcat

- I build with ant, everything seems ok, but the last patches fail.
I added this line:
  JAVA_OPTS=" -Dpython.home=/net/builds/jython21/Jython-2.1 -Djava.security.auth.login.config=${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/jaas.config"
to /etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf instead

Ok, so now when I try to access the /slide context I get this exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
        org.apache.slide.common.NamespaceConfig.getParameter(NamespaceConfig.java:568)
        at
        org.apache.slide.util.NamespaceConfigUtil.getSecurityImplementation(NamespaceConfigUtil.java:70)
        at
        org.apache.slide.common.NamespaceAccessTokenImpl.<init>(NamespaceAccessTokenImpl.java:76)
        at
        org.apache.slide.common.Domain.accessNamespace(Domain.java:252)
        at
        org.apache.slide.webdav.WebdavServlet.init(WebdavServlet.java:261)

Any hints?

It feels like a configuration error, but I cant think of more places
to look in right now.

Joakim Verona
www.verona.se

Re: WCK setup problems

Posted by Martin Kalén <mk...@apache.org>.
Joakim Verona wrote:
> - I'm using a jpackage environment, and the jpackage ant didnt work
>   for some reason with, so I built an ordinary ant, which works
>
> - I've set the catalina.dist to /usr/share/tomcat5, which is
>   supposedly correct for jpackage tomcat
>
> - I build with ant, everything seems ok, but the last patches fail.
> I added this line:
>   JAVA_OPTS=" -Dpython.home=/net/builds/jython21/Jython-2.1 -Djava.security.auth.login.config=${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/jaas.config"
> to /etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf instead
>
> Ok, so now when I try to access the /slide context I get this exception:
>

> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
>         org.apache.slide.common.NamespaceConfig.getParameter(NamespaceConfig.java:568)

If jpackage splits Tomcat5 into bin (/usr/share/tomcat5) and conf (/etc/tomcat5),
I would suggest adding a symbolic link from bin to conf to avoid similar problems.

Many products will look for Tomcat's configuration in $CATALINA_HOME/conf, so
if you add a symlink /usr/share/tomcat5/conf => /etc/tomcat5 and set
CATALINA_HOME=/usr/share/tomcat5 in your environemtn you might get a bit further.

Another thing might be that the JAAS conf have to be named according to the Ant-
script before your change. If you have JAAS configuration in tomcat5.conf, I would
suggest splitting that file into tomcat5.conf and jaas.config and rolling out
the patch you did to the Ant-script (ie the change of
"${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/jaas.config" into "/etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf").

The reason that your jpackage Ant did not work is probably because you were
missing some optional tasks, like "patch" for example. There is an optional
jpackage bundle which adds many misc tasks like XSLT etc, you could try that
bundle and see if it helps you getting going without a src-build of Ant.
(I don't remember the bundle name, but you should be able to get it now
that you know what to look for...)

Running Ant with the debug flag (-d or -debug) will tell you exactly why it
fails (and LOTS more, so you only want it for troubleshooting).

Regards,
  Martin