Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Terry Marks <tm...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2015/03/14 22:45:58 UTC

Question about Open Office

 Hello,
I found someone selling your product online at EBay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPEN-OFFICE-SOFTWARE-MICROSOFT-OFFICE-2013-COMPATIBLE-WORD-EXCEL-POWERPOINT-NEW-/400807323086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d51fa65ce

I am not sure if this is approved by your company or not but thought I would let you know that someone is making a profit off your product when you charge nothing for Open Office.  Thanks!
Terry

Re: Question about Open Office

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Terry Marks wrote:
> Hello, I found someone selling your product online at EBay -
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPEN-OFFICE-SOFTWARE-MICROSOFT-OFFICE-2013-COMPATIBLE-WORD-EXCEL-POWERPOINT-NEW-/400807323086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d51fa65ce
> I am not sure if this is approved by your company or not but thought
> I would let you know that someone is making a profit off your product
> when you charge nothing for Open Office.  Thanks! Terry

Thanks for reporting this. While it is possible to sell OpenOffice, the
announcement uses our trademark. This usage was not approved. If you
can, please post a comment to the seller saying that we require that
those who sell OpenOffice on Ebay include the notice that you can find at
http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/

Remark: OpenOffice is not a company but a volunteer-run project, and of
course that announcement is unaffiliated to the project.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Question about Open Office

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
> On Mar 15, 2015, at 04:32, jonathon <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> No, nothing wrong with it.  They're selling a CD at nominal cost,

e.  It could be loaded with nasty ware

 —
jt - jt@jt-mj.net

There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Re: Question about Open Office

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.
On 15/03/15 03:27, James Knott wrote:

> No, nothing wrong with it.  They're selling a CD at nominal cost,

a) They claim the product is distributed under the GPL & LGPL;

b) They claim to be "an authorized community distributor of this
software". http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/ explains why
that claim is misleading;

c) They claim it runs on Windows 2000. That platform is not officially
supported by Apache OpenOffice;

d) Quoting them "OpenOffice.org and the OpenOffice.org logo are
trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the
United States and other countries";

They definitely need to update their templates.

jonathon

Re: Question about Open Office

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 03/14/2015 05:45 PM, Terry Marks wrote:
>  Hello,
> I found someone selling your product online at EBay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPEN-OFFICE-SOFTWARE-MICROSOFT-OFFICE-2013-COMPATIBLE-WORD-EXCEL-POWERPOINT-NEW-/400807323086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d51fa65ce
>
> I am not sure if this is approved by your company or not but thought I would let you know that someone is making a profit off your product when you charge nothing for Open Office.  Thanks!
> Terry

No, nothing wrong with it.  They're selling a CD at nominal cost, which
is useful for those who cannot download OO.  This contrasts with those
who sell for a lot more and make some claims about this list being paid
support.