Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/02 00:37:27 UTC

Ajax/widget parameter documentation

I wanted to know how people feel about what should be done with all of the
additional parameters that will soon be available on a lot of our
components. The tacos component documentation has been said to be confusing
because of this, but I don't really know what to do about it.

Adding in all of these client side features do open up a whole world of new
parameters to people, so they exist whether documented or not. If I can find
a way, maybe color coding the parameter table would be a better option? Ie
normal table for typical parameters, and then a "blue" background table or
something for the client side parameters. We could use this color scheming
theme throughout the documentation to make it easier for people to
understand what sort of information we are documenting.

--
Jesse Kuhnert
Tacos/Tapestry, team member/developer

dojo/tapestry/tacos/hivemind.  http://opennotion.com

Re: Ajax/widget parameter documentation

Posted by Sam Gendler <sg...@ideasculptor.com>.
For me, comprehensive examples that show off how all available
parameters are used are probably more important to rapid comprehension
of a new component or library of components than a color coded table.
The table is useful as a reference, once I already have a baseline
familiarity with how things work, but as someone who first used Tacos
less than 12 hours ago, I can say that some of the examples in the
documentation could have been clearer and more up to date.  But, if
you are going to generate a table of parameters, color coding them
according to client-side or server side would certainly aid
comprehension and readability.  But since I assume they'll be grouped
together, the colors are probably superfluous.

--sam

Posted by Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi <le...@dtqsoftware.com>.

Posted by Ryan Holmes <ry...@hyperstep.com>.
A separate, color-coded table for the client side parameters sounds
perfect.  If the number of client side parameters per component starts
really getting out of hand, you could factor out the common ones into a
central table. The client side parameter table for individual components
would include a link to the common parameters. I don't necessarily
prefer that idea, but it's worth considering.

-Ryan