Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gustavo Rahal <gu...@grahal.net> on 2006/09/04 15:03:38 UTC

https login, http for files

Hi All

I would like to know how can I set up apache so that the svn login process
is done via https and file exchange via http.

What I did up to now is:

<Location /svn>
    DAV svn
    SVNParentPath       /svnroot
    SVNAutoversioning   on
    SVNIndexXSLT        /svnindex.xsl

    <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
      RewriteEngine on
      RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} ^80$
      RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ https://%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_URI} [R=permanent]
    </LimitExcept>

  </Location>

The redirect works fine (sniffing the http header I could see the correct
url)
but I still get "301 Moved Permanently" error. The other problem is that
despite the LimitExcept, the PROPFIND request is being redirected to https.

Am I going through the wrong direction? What are the other possibilities?

Thanks

Re: https login, http for files

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 9/4/06, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2006, at 17:03, Gustavo Rahal wrote:
>
> > I would like to know how can I set up apache so that the svn login
> > process is done via https and file exchange via http.
>
> I don't think that's possible. I think you'll have to use https all
> the time. I've had no luck getting Subversion to acknowledge
> redirects before.

But for fairly secure authentication (no clear text passwords), you
can also use Digest auth... Neon (the HTTP/DAV library Subversion is
based on) supports it.

bye,

Erik.

Re: https login, http for files

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 10:03, Gustavo Rahal wrote:

> I would like to know how can I set up apache so that the svn login
> process is done via https and file exchange via http.

This won't help if you use basic authentication.  The login
and password will be passed in the http headers on every
request.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@gmail.com