Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Fallon, Kenneth J Civ 878 CS/SCPD" <Ke...@ROBINS.AF.MIL> on 2008/03/06 18:43:43 UTC

VSS

Hey

            I am trying to replace Visual Source Safe with Subversion.
My users are happy with all the features Subversion has to offer. The
question arose however...How does Subversion interface with other
Microsoft products like Visual Studio? My developers have drop down menu
items for VSS in Visual Studio (Both Microsoft Products).   Is anyone
using Visual Studio with Subversion? If so then how easy is the
interface (if any). I cannot seem to find info about this in the
Subversion book.

Thanks

Ken Fallon

Re: VSS

Posted by Henrik Sundberg <st...@gmail.com>.
2008/3/6, Fallon, Kenneth J Civ 878 CS/SCPD <Ke...@robins.af.mil>:
>             I am trying to replace Visual Source Safe with Subversion. My
> users are happy with all the features Subversion has to offer. The question
> arose however…How does Subversion interface with other Microsoft products
> like Visual Studio? My developers have drop down menu items for VSS in
> Visual Studio (Both Microsoft Products).   Is anyone using Visual Studio
> with Subversion? If so then how easy is the interface (if any). I cannot
> seem to find info about this in the Subversion book.

There is Ankh.
It's ok, but the need is not as big as when using VSS. VSS Checkout is
not needed (SVN Checkout is like VSS Get Latest). TortoiseSvn makes
the handling effortless directly in the explorer.

/$

Re: VSS

Posted by Andreas Schweigstill <an...@schweigstill.de>.
Hello!

marc gonzalez-carnicer schrieb:
> they also get scared about the possibility of
> somebody is touching "their" file.

Several years ago some former collegues locked their files in CVS
before going on holiday in order to prevent other users from changing
"their" files. This absolutely inverted the principle for using locks
in revision control systems. :-/

Regards
Andreas

--
Dipl.-Phys. Andreas Schweigstill
Schweigstill IT | Embedded Systems

Re: Re: VSS

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.
thanks, that was really interesting to know. i'll forward this information
to the windows guys. importing to svn an already existing project,
setting properties, etc, is not a simple task, specially when the
user does not have enough experience.

RE: Re: RE: Re: VSS

Posted by "Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)" <Da...@thehartford.com>.

This is all quite useful, but it does require some extra configuration
on each client computer.  If that isn't done, Ankh's "add solution to
source control" remains the easiest method for importing Visual Studio
solutions.  In fact, EITHER WAY it is the easiest way to do it.  I do
not consider it worthy of "cringing" when someone uses Ankh to import a
solution.

--
David

destroy all copies.

Re: RE: Re: VSS

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: RE: Re: VSS

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.
you'll cringe even more when you read that i never heard
about this config file. it took me some time to find that it is on
the ~/.subversion folder.

IMO, such an useful and important thing is really not properly
emphasized on the svnbook. when i think all the time i've
wasted that this could have saved me :)

anyway, thanks.

RE: RE: Re: VSS

Posted by "Gleason, Todd" <tg...@impac.com>.
You're making me cringe.  Just avoid these files the natural Subversion
way.  In your config file [miscellany] section:

global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la #*#.*~ *~ .#* .DS_Store *.vssscc *.vspscc
mss*.scc *.obj *.sbr *.ncb *.pdb *.idb *.tmp *.xdc *.dep
*.intermediate.manifest BuildLog.htm *.bsc *.suo bin obj Debug debug
Release release ReleaseMinSize ReleaseMinDependency _ReSharper.*
*.resharper *.resharper.user __*

The above probably has several Unix-isms, but it avoids Emacs
temp/backup files, VSS-related files (for those migrating from VSS who
may temporarily have some of that stuff around), temp files, build
directories, ReSharper plugin directories, and a few other things.

I personally would leave Subversion configured to store the .user files,
because application Debug settings seem to be stored in the .user files
and it's a pain to always have to re-create the information (though
different users sometimes use different settings and I don't know of any
good way to accommodate this).

Posted by "Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)" <Da...@thehartford.com>.

We have the same situation here, though at this point all but one is
quite happy with the new model.

> about tools, as people pointed out, tortoise should be
> enough. users end up not missing the VS drop-down menus since
> these are not really necessary (all files are "checked-out"
> by default). a training / discussion session can be useful too.

I have to point out that Ankh does offer some conviences that will make
acceptance by the above "problem children" more likely.  For example,
update, commit, and diff while in the IDE is quick and easy, and doesn't
force one to switch to Explorer.  Also, the visual indication of
modification status in the project explorer is valuable, and unlike SCC
plugins will bubble up from the lowest level to the top, making
assessment of what you modified trivial.

Additionally, there is a "add solution to source control" for ankh.
This will automatically exclude all the  VS files that should not be
source controlled (*.suo, *.user, /bin, /obj).

My main peeves with Ankh is its weak handling of file renames and moves
- especially when tools like ReSharper are refactoring things.  In these
situations, Tortoise is very helpful.  Also, I prefer to use Tortoise to
review the commit list and "check for modification", because you can do
so much more in its interface.

> 2008/3/6, Gleason, Todd <tg...@impac.com>:
> >

> > TortoiseSVN is the most popular general Windows Subversion client.
> > Given how different Subversion is from VSS (no constant
> need to lock
> > files to edit them, just commit everything when you're
> done), the need
> > to have a client within VSS is substantially reduced.

I disagree for the reasons stated above, and especially for the
psychological factor.  Microsoft-centric developers are not like
Java/GNU developers.  They tend to prefer coddling even if they don't
need it.

> > However, when dealing with file moves and renames, I
> believe you can
> > get better behavior by using AnkhSVN (free) or VisualSVN

As I said, Ankh is not particularly helpful with renames and moves.

destroy all copies.

Re: VSS

Posted by John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com>.
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 21:21:36 +0100
"marc gonzalez-carnicer" <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> my company migrated from VSS to SVN a year ago. the main
> issue is not technical, but psicologycal : stubborness and closed
> minds.

We switched from VSS to Subversion/TortoiseSVN several months ago.
Subversion does a much better job for us.

John Gateley <ga...@jriver.com>

Re: VSS

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.

RE: VSS