Posted to dev@singa.apache.org by Moaz Reyad <mo...@apache.org> on 2020/03/11 11:40:40 UTC

[DISCUSS] Replace Travis CI with Github Actions

Dear All,

I would like to propose to move from Travis CI to the new CI/CD features in
Github with Github Actions [1]. You can see an example for licence check
after commit with github actions instead of travis in this pull request [2].

There are many benefits of using Github Actions instead of an external tool
like Travis, such as eliminating the need to configure an external tool and
integrating better CI with other Github features.

We can start moving the CI jobs from Travis to Github step by step until we
completely remove the need of using Travis.

What do you think?

Regards,
Moaz

[1] https://github.com/features/actions
[2] https://github.com/moazreyad/incubator-singa/pull/13

Re: [DISCUSS] Replace Travis CI with Github Actions

Posted by Moaz Reyad <mo...@apache.org>.
Dear Chris,

There are some web pages that compare travis and github actions like [1].

I think github actions will improve the productivity because it is easier,
faster and richer with github integration features that are not possible
with travis. There is also a community of users who made many actions
available (see [2]), so this can save time because we can use them or adapt
them to the project needs.

There is little configuration needed for github actions because it is part
of github.

The disadvantages of github actions are:

1. The team may require some time to learn it. But there are many tutorials
and examples. I think the time used in learning it will be a good
investment because it will save development and testing time later.

2. If the project is moved from github, the github actions will not work
until github offers a separate CI product. But I do not think SINGA will be
moved from github unless the Apache foundation decides to move.

The best way to compare travis and github actions is to start moving some
of the current travis jobs to github actions and see the difference in
practice.

Best regards,
Moaz

[1] https://knapsackpro.com/ci_comparisons/github-actions/vs/travis-ci
[2] https://github.com/sdras/awesome-actions

________________________________

Posted by Moaz Reyad <mo...@gmail.com>.
Yes, Github actions are easier because we do not need to configure another
external tool. You may google "From Travis to GitHub Actions".

In case of SINGA, most of the work are done in shell scripts which can be
called from Github Actions instead of Travis CI. For example, to migrate
the rat check we just call rat.sh from the github actions file instead of
calling it from travis. All other scripts (e.g. lint, conda build, etc..)
can be called from the github actions yaml configuration file instead of
travis yaml file.

Github Actions supports Linux, Mac and also Windows (Github is owned by
Microsoft).

Moaz

Posted by Wang Wei <wa...@comp.nus.edu.sg>.

Posted by Yeung Sai Ho <dc...@nus.edu.sg>.