Posted to dev@juneau.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/06 15:56:24 UTC

Inappropriate use of slack channel

Hey Folks,

Really, discussions of release content Do Not Belong on the slack channel. Nothing time sensitive.

Craig

> On Jul 6, 2017, at 5:01 AM, Digest <sl...@digest.ai> wrote:
>
> Here’s your digest for today!
> #dev-juneau
> undefined: <@U4REN49DZ> no, marvin is a dumb script
> undefined: ok….no biggie.
> undefined: btw, can you follow up with Justin on the release issue? You may want to point him to where the release archive is.
> undefined: I’m positive he’s talking about that Atom sample code in the documentation.  Here’s what he said in the original vote thread…
>
> ```
> - There's a number of "Copyright (c) 2016, Apache Foundation" in the documentation you may want to update the year.
> ```
> I did a full search of that copyright in the entire source tree, and that’s the only place I found it.
> undefined: But even he’s saying no.
> Justin is meticulous about this sort of thing.  Its always best to get direct answers from him.
> undefined: will do

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Inappropriate use of slack channel

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Here are the problems with slack as I see them:

Not inclusive. You have to be a member of the ASF Slack organization in order to read or post. It's very much like private@juneau in that regard.

Not transparent. Members can post anonymously. At least (see below) the digests have "undefined" as the author of some posts.

Not archived. We tried to get daily digests posted to the dev@juneau list. All I have seen from digests is a few teaser messages that are not attributed.

I have no problem with "jumping on slack" to have some real-time dialog. But it's not a substitute for the dev@juneau channel.

Craig

Craig L Russell