Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/17 15:46:40 UTC

[OT] AOO in Telecenter

Hi all,

A member of the Escritório Livre community, working in telecenters
government is creating an OS based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. About 6.000
telecenters, with 11 machines each, and will exceed more than 7.000.

It will replace the old BrOffice 3.2 to put the Apache OpenOffice 3.4 as
the official office in the telecenters.

Just who is having a problem, it needs to create a PPA for Ubuntu 10.04,
and today exists only for 11.10/12.04. And also the question of automatic
updating AOO.

Albino

Re: [OT] AOO in Telecenter

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Also, in case people don't know, would you be so kind as to explain what a
> Telecenter is?

Brazilian Telecentros
http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/000177.html

FC
act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: [OT] AOO in Telecenter

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

The Paulo create script[1] for install on machines in the telecenter.

1 -
escritoriolivre.org/w/index.php?title=Instala%C3%A7%C3%A3o_em_esta%C3%A7%C3%A3o_Ubuntu_a_partir_de_um_servidor#Execu.C3.A7.C3.A3o

Albino

Re: [OT] AOO in Telecenter

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Good!

I think it is well explained by Claudio, Paulo and others, about what is
and function a Telecentre.

The member said that the mailing of EL, start with a pilot project with 26
telecentres already next week. If you could script and/or PPA on the AOO
would be great for him.

He reported that in 30 or 60 days for the project have a conclusion.

Albino

Re: [OT] AOO in Telecenter

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/17 drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>

> On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 12:38 -0300, Claudio Filho wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > 2012/5/17 Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>:
> > > This is good! does it continue the activity of earlier years?
> >
> > Yes. Exist a decrease because the gov is passing the maintaining
> > effectively to society, but some government programs like GESAC[1],
> > yet continue. The difference from this program to a telecenter is that
> > the internet is provided through satelite link, in places where
> > haven't cable.
> > [1]http://www.gesac.gov.br/
> >
> > > Wow. And will it be called Apache OpenOffice? And be in BR-PT? Can you
> also give us a
> > > sense of how many people will be reached (able to use) by these
> enhancements?
> >
> > Yes. Remember that BrOffice was killed after they "rescued" the users
> > for them, and after started a FUD campain against this name.
> >
> > However, Yes, will be over pt-BR and with name "Apache OpenOffice".
> >
> > > Also, in case people don't know, would you be so kind as to explain
> what a Telecenter is?
> >
> > In Brasil started a many years ago in a moviment from organized
> > society to make places with free access to computers with many apps
> > and internet. After, this idea grew to a national plan, multiplying
> > around the country, including free computing courses and digital
> > inclusion for low income population.
> >
> > > Yes. Perhaps the telecentros can be persuaded to help out with the
> effort required? (They
> > > may already be doing so, of course.)
> >
> > No. Was a asking from one of project coordinators about this. Is
> > possible we help? IMO, is understand more some points and adjust it in
> > the launchpad.org space.
>
> Ah - I think I understand and if so - YES, YES, YES we could use the
> help.
>
> I never got the synch to SVN to work -
> so, suppose it's back to the fist idea wich is, just load the source
> from the 3.4 release tarball into the launchpad system, from there we
> can start he build process.
>
> //drew

Hi Drew. Nice to see you here =)

In fact the guy told us that updates must be as automated as possible. It's
because people who will do the maintenance job are not skilled enogh and
asking them to type "dpkg -i blablabla" is out of question. I proposed him
to offer some sort of bash script that could download and install the
packages without much user interference, if automatic updates or a PPA
aren't available soon. It's not the best option, but it could give time for
the other options to become available.

Regards

--
Paulo de Souza Lima
http://almalivre.wordpress.com

Re: [OT] AOO in Telecenter

Posted by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [OT] AOO in Telecenter

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: [OT] AOO in Telecenter

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Albino, World:

On 2012-05-17, at 09:46 , Albino Biasutti Neto wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A member of the Escritório Livre community, working in telecenters
> government is creating an OS based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. About 6.000
> telecenters, with 11 machines each, and will exceed more than 7.000.

This is good! does it continue the activity of earlier years?

> It will replace the old BrOffice 3.2 to put the Apache OpenOffice 3.4 as
> the official office in the telecenters.

Wow. And will it be called Apache OpenOffice? And be in BR-PT? Can you also give us a sense of how many people will be reached (able to use) by these enhancements?

Also, in case people don't know, would you be so kind as to explain what a Telecenter is?

> Just who is having a problem, it needs to create a PPA for Ubuntu 10.04,
> and today exists only for 11.10/12.04. And also the question of automatic
> updating AOO.

Yes. Perhaps the telecentros can be persuaded to help out with the effort required? (They may already be doing so, of course.)

These moves are globally important. For instance, the telecenter model can be found in Asia, as well as India and elsewhere there is a need for local populations to access and use computers, the Internet, and related knowledge. Everyone wants to learn of successes, read case studies, follow best practices and so on: to relieve risk anxiety and to mitigate migration pain.

There are also competency centres around the world, especially in Asia, eg., Philippines, Malaysia, India, Indonesia, to name but a few that come to mind. Again, having case studies or even simple lists of what has been done… will make a world of difference real.

Please let's renew this page on major OO deployments. It's old; but we can take it as a "phase 1" and move to an Apache wiki that reflects AOO. Ideally, it could be used to create a more accurate map of ODF deployments. One used to be maintained (more or less) by the ODF Alliance.

The page I mean for OO deployments, and that could be used as a model: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments

> Albino

Thanks, Albino.

-louis

PS : again, the more case studies, or lists, that we can point to around the world, the better; and the more we can persuade the Grand Users of AOO and other FOSS to contribute to the development of those tools they use, the better. One of the best ways would be to encourage participation in the community process among the actual users; another way would be by employing, or making for the employ, of developers.