Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bill Parker <do...@netnevada.net> on 2004/03/27 16:03:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Linux khttpd acceleration

Hi All,

    I would like some info on khttpd (the kernel httpd module).  In reading the info, it appears to speed up processing of static content quite well, but I am a little perplexed, if I have khttpd listening on port 80, and httpd.conf listening on say 8000, do I
need to specify http://<ip addr>:8000 to deal with stuff, or can I do http://<ip addr>, and it goes over to khttpd, and if khttpd can't serve the content, it gets redirected over to 8000 on it's own (per httpd.conf and khttpd sysctl parameters)?

Any comments, or is anyone using khttpd with apache 2.0.4x?

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] Linux khttpd acceleration

Posted by Didier Peereboom Voller <di...@simpelinternet.nl>.
Hi, you might want to look at the 2.6 kernel. No more khttpd. Why? Well
apparantly the "slowness" of apache (and all other servers) was due to
limits in the older kernels wich have now been overcome.

So the claim is that its usefullness has gone and you could just use any
other userspace server instead and get the same speeds.

Of course this may not apply to you  as there still is some hardware not
supported by 2.6 and upgrading the rest of your system may not be
possible.

Sorry been too long that I played withit to help you with setting it up.

Groeten,
Didier.