Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by solrnoob <rs...@sapient.com> on 2009/08/23 17:17:52 UTC

Phrase synonyms not working | Synonyms not in search results

We are facing following issues with our Solr 1.3.0 :
1.	Phrase synonym not working – Search for multi word terms (phrase) is not
working for our Solr configuration. Be it a one-way synonym or two-way, it’s
not working for a phrase. For phrase search, we are enclosing the term as
well as the synonyms in double quotes i.e. the phrase ‘cute cat’ is entered
as “cute cat” with quotes in synonyms.txt file. The synonyms are also
enclosed in quotes like “little cat” with quotes. When we perform a search
for “cute cat” with quotes, we get the results for ‘cute cat’ but not for
‘little cat even if it is defined as a synonym. However, if we define a
single word as synonym for a set of synonyms, we get all the expected
results i.e. if we define a set of synonyms as ‘”cute cat”, “little cat”,
”felines”’, a search for “felines” with quotes or without quotes will
provide us a result which will include the results for “little cat”, “cute
cat” and “feline” but a search on “little cat” or “cute cat” will return the
result containing the search results for the precise term used for search.
When searching for a phrase without quotes, we get all the results for the
individual words and combination of words, just the regular search result.
We need the search results for the precise combination of words in the
phrase along with the synonyms for the phrase. The “expand” parameter is
currently set to “true” but setting it to "false" also did not help with
phrase synonym search. We are using the DisjunctionMaxQueryParser.

2.	Search results not correct when a term is searched as a phrase – As per
our requirements, when a term is searched as a phrase, i.e. enclosed in
double quotes, it should return results pertaining to that specific word.
The results should not contain the search results for the synonyms of the
search term. However, we are getting the results for the terms defined as
the synonyms also.

Has anybody got some experience with similar kind of problems? For our first
problem, we are looking for some configuration settings in schema.xml which
may help us getting the phrase synonyms work.