Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/03 00:56:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] Smoke tests

We always had the examples on Artemis playing a double thingy... being
both an educational and documentational resource, and that has also
saved us a few times from making changes that would invalidate
configurations and the manual.

However, to replicate ARTEMIS-1089 now, I couldn't easily produce a
testcase for it.. Instead I wrote an example like code (using the same
maven framework, and everything else).. but this time it doesn't have
the purpose of documentation.

for that reason I am creating a new folder ./smoke under examples, and
I'm adding a readme.md as part of it.

I'm mainly adding this discuss thread to suggest other people to do
the same in certain cases where a testcase is hard to reproduce a
production life scenario. Testcases are still the preferable way to
replicate bugs.. but in certain cases this will help us eat our own
dog food. (it certainly helped me).

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Smoke tests

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
It should still be part of the release.  It's a valid test anyoene can run.

We just make it clear.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Smoke tests

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Smoke tests

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Smoke tests

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Smoke tests

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
I have a folder smoke.  A Readme saying it's intended as test on a real
life system.

If y don't like it there and care that much.   Please merge my current PR
and change it any way you like.

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 5:54 AM Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com> wrote:

> When I said "it shouldn't be part of the release", what I meant was that it
> shouldn't be part of the built released examples.
>
> Unless of course it's written up as a proper example with a proper readme
> with context and is appropriately named like all the other examples.  What
> I don't want to do is confuse users by having integration tests mixed in
> with examples aimed for end users.  It's just going to cause confusion.
>
> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 10:24 AM, nigro_franz <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Agree! It is a good idea indeed!
> >

> > --

Clebert Suconic