Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/10/19 17:28:12 UTC

Estimating contributors by looking at wiki accounts?

I recently saw another open source project claim that they had over
3000 contributors.  They derived this estimate by looking at the
number of user accounts they had in their wiki.

That is quite clever, I thought.  Since we use the same wiki software,
I thought I'd check this metric for us.  Our wiki says we have over
58,000 user accounts.

I know we're doing well, but would it really make sense to claim that
we have over 58,000 contributors?  I don't think so.

I suppose we could look only at accounts where the person has actually
contributed edits, or even recent edits. (MediaWiki is a well-known
target of registration spam).  Although the other project did not seem
to filter out inactive or unused accounts, I think the metrics are
meaningless unless we do that.

What do you think?  Or do we even care?

-Rob

Re: Estimating contributors by looking at wiki accounts?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/19/2012 05:28 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> I recently saw another open source project claim that they had over
> 3000 contributors.  They derived this estimate by looking at the
> number of user accounts they had in their wiki.
>
> That is quite clever, I thought.  Since we use the same wiki software,
> I thought I'd check this metric for us.  Our wiki says we have over
> 58,000 user accounts.
>
> I know we're doing well, but would it really make sense to claim that
> we have over 58,000 contributors?  I don't think so.
>
> I suppose we could look only at accounts where the person has actually
> contributed edits, or even recent edits. (MediaWiki is a well-known
> target of registration spam).  Although the other project did not seem
> to filter out inactive or unused accounts, I think the metrics are
> meaningless unless we do that.
>
> What do you think?  Or do we even care?

Yes, maybe a good chance to tell others some numbers from our project.

However, the wording of the number is (for some people) the more
important part. So, this should be double-checked.

That means it doesn't make sense to say "hey, we have 58,000+
contributors" but more like "... in the last 12 months we got
contributions from ~3,000 active people (incl. accounts from SVN, BZ,
Wiki, MLs, etc.).

Marcus

Re: Estimating contributors by looking at wiki accounts?

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

On 19/ott/2012, at 18:37, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>> +1 all around.  This sounds like it would be more interesting on the
>> ooo-marketing@ list, since it's more about telling the story of "who helps
>> make AOO".  With a project with as many different kinds of end users as AOO
>> has, accurate stats like these would be good, if you want to go generate
>> them.  Plus, I like numbers. 8-)
>>
>> The most useful thing about generating them would be showing exactly how
>> they're generated, with code (if any), and being very clear - as you suggest
>> - at what the specific numbers mean.  Openness in the way you generate the
>> details is key to ensuring people know exactly what you're measuring.
>
> I think Mwiki has REST API that gives XML out.  But I'd need to check.
>
>> - Shane
>>
>> P.S. Is there already a chart of auto-upgrade "downloads" anywhere? Just
>> curious.
>
> Not yet.  But it is something I've been trying to figure out.
> SourceForge numbers don't report it, but if you correlate the SF
> numbers with the website numbers from Google Analytics (we send users
> to a special update URL) I think we can estimate it.  But getting
> charts means I need to figure how to automate it on both the GA and SF
> sides.

I'll be happy to help with that, early next week I ll have a look at that.

Roberto

--
====

Re: Estimating contributors by looking at wiki accounts?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.