Posted to scm-dev@maven.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2009/03/19 01:22:12 UTC

svnjava provider and maven scm

Hi,
As we don't distribute the svnkit (it's only a dependency available in
the central repo), why we can't make a release of this provider ?
Any objections to move the sandbox module in trunk ?

Olivier

Re: svnjava provider and maven scm

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
done. there is now only a README.TXT
(https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/scm/README.TXT)

--
Olivier

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/maven-scm-provider-svnjava/

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 21/03/2009, at 6:38 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Brett,
>
> There is no way we accept the Sleepcat license, it's viral. It is
> also heavily recommend against using because it can force you to
> have to redistribute your source code. That from our IP lawyer who
> deals with every day. Please don't dispense legal advice. Everything
> in law is in interpretation but there are some accepted
> interpretation. It's also unlikely that those contracts are
> identical unless they are verbatim and originate from the same
> country.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying exactly. We seem to have the
same understanding of the license at least (that's exactly what I said
in the issue), it is totally viral and forces you to redistribute your
source code if you use it (it is based on distribution). My suggestion
was how we could offer our source code, without the library, and give
suitable warning on the impact of turning it on as an optional bit of
Maven SCM for those that can use the license.

Regardless, I closed the issue since Olivier moved it out.

- Brett

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
Brett,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 19-Mar-09, at 8:17 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> So the Brett proposal looks fine too.
> I can mark the svnjava provider as optionnal and explain why on the
> scm site and explain how to use it.

The svn library is not optional for this component to work. You
require it to run.

SVNKit and that's not LGPL, it's a license we've never validated here.
It's a custom license called the TMate Open Source License.

Brett's proposal is not fine.

You may not like the way the legal process is here but you can't end-
run the safe guards in place by saying something is optional when it
clearly is not. And then trying to draw an analogy to a project where
the license isn't even the same and a completely custom one at that.

Ask Apache legal. Explain to them you're marking optional what isn't
and show them the TMate license and see what they tell you.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: svnjava provider and maven scm

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
 From my experience asking anyone about anything legal has never been

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 19-Mar-09, at 1:25 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> Hi,
> Ok. It's was not really clear for me.

Technically we are not redistributing anything and we can ask the
board for clarification because in the strictest sense we do not
redistribute. But I think folks here would interpret a dependency in
your POM as being equivalent.

> Thanks for clarification,
> --
> Olivier
>
> 2009/3/19 Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>:
>> If the license is not one that the ASF accepts then we can't really
>> dodge
>> the issue by saying that it's only in the POM.
>>
>> On 18-Mar-09, at 5:22 PM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> As we don't distribute the svnkit (it's only a dependency
>>> available in
>>> the central repo), why we can't make a release of this provider ?
>>> Any objections to move the sandbox module in trunk ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Olivier
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> To do two things at once is to do neither.
>>
>>  -—Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven