Posted to dev@apisix.apache.org by Ayush Das <ay...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/21 05:43:25 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Introducing a new repository for community operations

Hello APISIX Community,

As we all know that graph of the Apache APISIX growth is increasing
gradually in terms of features.
Success of Apache APISIX is not only because of the features it provides
but also the number of active contributors it has.
So to increase the involvement of new contributors.I have come up with a
plan to introduce a new repository.

named as : *a**pache/apisix-contributors-playground*

Idea referenced from kubernetes program :
https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/contributor-playground

This repo will consist name and some details of the contributors separated
with respect to their country names.

Benefits of this repo

   1. Will make it easier for us to have a count on the number of
   contributors country wise.
   2. This will be the part of the task given to first time contributors as
   the data is committed by the new contributor themselves
   3. This will increase our reach to new contributors who have skills but
   don’t know how to get into the open source
   4. There is the chance for us to get more active contributors to APISIX
   via this concept
   5. Usually new contributors get more motivated after their first PR gets
   merged to a big org, and they try to find more relatable issues to resolve
   according to their genre In the same org.

Currently I am maintaining a doc file for this plan that you all can have a
look at.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16x6OXAMRvqoNeS8t5AW8bdyUtKE1H-F155vF84APNVY/edit?usp=sharing

Re: [PROPOSAL] Introducing a new repository for community operations

Posted by Bobur Umurzokov <bo...@api7.ai>.
Hi Ayush,

Thanks for sharing it with us. It is really appreciated the new things you
would like to introduce.

It is definitely good idea to consider and implement where we can keep all
necessary and helpful guidelines for our newbies in this repo. However, it
might be very tough to maintain by us unless the community themselve
actively fills it with the information in continuous matter. As I discussed
yesterday with committee members, we can put it to the backlog and start to
work on in next quarter means during the summer.

Do you think you could manage it by encouraging our community to add extra
effort on this? Of course, I am more than happy to help you partially to
provide initial data like tutorials and references.

Kind regards,
Bobur