Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Patrick John Hays <pu...@elbubba.com> on 2005/09/09 16:20:12 UTC

Repository location according to FHS

If I want my repositories to be compliant with the File Hierarchy Standard,
where should I put them given that they will be used by more than one user
and thus don't really belong in home directories.

It almost seems they should go someplace under /var/opt but subversion isn't
installed under /opt so that seems inconsistent.

My vote is for something like:

/srv/svn/repo/name-of-project

Re: Repository location according to FHS

Posted by "Todd A. Jacobs" <no...@codegnome.org>.
On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 12:20:12PM -0400, Patrick John Hays wrote:

>/srv/svn/repo/name-of-project

This is probably the most-correct way to do it, but very few distros
currently support /srv out of the box. Most still rely on /var (e.g.
Debian likes to stuff CVS repositories into /var/cvs).

Luckily, you can put the repo anywhere you like, and symlink it to
somewhere in /srv. But in practice, it is probably more important to
follow your distro's current conventions for real repository locations
if they don't follow the latest FHS standards.

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g