Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Larry Isaacs <La...@sas.com> on 2001/09/10 16:51:22 UTC

[VOTE] Release Plan for Tomcat 3.3 (final release)

Hi All,

I propose to update the RELEASE-PLAN-3.3 with the schedule shown
below to finish the release of Jakarta Tomcat 3.3.

===== Tomcat 3.3 Final Release Plan Ballot =====
[ ] +1    I am in favor of this plan, and will help
[ ] +0    I am in favor of this plan, but am unable to help
[ ] -0    I not in favor of this plan
[ ] -1    I am opposed to this plan, and my reason(s) are:

----- [you may snip here when voting] -----

======= Tomcat 3.3 Final Release Plan Schedule ==========
Tomcat 3.3 Release Candidate 1:

	Code Freeze/Tag Date:	Sept 14, 2001
	Release Manager:	Larry Isaacs

     This release should be used to verify that we really are
     at release quality.  It should include any fixes needed
     to reach that status.  Documentation updates may continue
     after this release.

     Known issues in order of priority:
     1. Fix bugs required for release.

Tomcat 3.3 Release Candidate 2:

	Code Freeze/Tag Date:	Sept 21, 2001
	Release Manager:	Larry Isaacs

     Will be the build put to a vote as a release. This release should
     only include very minor fixes and documentation updates from the
     RC1 release.

     Known issues in order of priority:
     1. TBD...

Tomcat 3.3 Final Release

	Code Freeze Date:	Sept 28, 2001
	Release Manager:	Larry Isaacs

     The final build. The pre-requisite for the release is having no
     bugs in the test suite, resolution for all known bugs and approval
     by the community.

This release will finish the implementation for Tomcat 3's Interceptor/Module
based architecture and offers numerous configuration and upgrade improvements
over its predecessors.  It also brings Tomcat 3.x to a maintainable state,
though new features aren't anticipated for Tomcat 3.3.  Instead, its
upgradability will allow these improvements to take place without a new
release of Tomcat 3.3.  However, it should be noted that if an upgrade alters
the behavior of Tomcat 3.3 with respect to the Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1 spec, and
it isn't fixing a spec compliance bug, then that upgrade would invalidate
Tomcat 3.3's status as a Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1 reference implementation.

Though this schedule releases Tomcat 3.3 after Tomcat 4.0, it is my belief
that with Tomcat 4.0's release, Tomcat 3.x's usefulness doesn't immediately
end and that "finishing" Tomcat 3.3 will be a benefit to the community.

Cheers,
Larry Isaacs

P.S. I will try to identify the "must fix" bugs and post the list tomorrow.

Re: [VOTE] Release Plan for Tomcat 3.3 (final release)

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Okay, okay ... let's not start getting goofy here. As I don't remember
Larry every insinuating that his decision to release was simply to "keep
up with 4.0", let's leave the rather insulting and uninformed
speculation at home, shall we?

Knowing Larry, I'm not inclined to think that his decision to release
was based on something as trivial as tree politics, and I don't really
appreciate the insinuation that our release managers are so petty as to
sacrifice quality for mindshare over some overblown internal dispute.

Quite frankly, he doesn't have to explain himself to me ... if he thinks
it's ready to go, then as Pier said, I trust him implicitly. You'll have
to forgive me if I accept the word of a longtime Tomcat hacker over your
half-assed second-guessing. If you have some specific technical reasons
why you don't believe that 3.3 is adequately prepared for an RC cycle,
then bring that. Just because you're not a committer doesn't mean that
valid points will be ignored. But If you want to sit here and talk in
vaguarities and spin political jive, taking thinly-veiled pot-shots at
my comrades, then you could really just spare us all the wasted bandwidth.

William Barker wrote:
> For what it's worth (since I can't vote), I agree with Jon.  TC3.3 hasn't
> had a long enough beta cycle yet to push through an RC cycle this fast.  As
> it is, I'm going to be lucky to have time to install RC1 before RC2 comes
> out.  Keeping up with 4.0 isn't a good enough reason, since I'm sure that
> there are plenty of people like me who can't even think of moving to 4.0
> until it has release-quality connectors.

- Christopher

/**
  * Pleurez, pleurez, mes yeux, et fondez vous en eau!
  * La moitié de ma vie a mis l'autre au tombeau.
  *    ---Corneille
  */

Re: [VOTE] Release Plan for Tomcat 3.3 (final release)

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
A long release cycle, but a short beta (and a lot of people don't download
until beta).  Of course I agree that 3.3 is a great improvement on 3.2 (even
as far back as M2 when I first started using it).  Granted, all of the bugs
that I know of in B2 have been fixed, but I've only had it up for about a
week to bang on it.  Mostly it's just my frustration that I'd like to be
involved (at least with testing), but as a part-timer on tomcat-dev I
probably won't be able to with the proposed release calendar.

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Considering all expressed opinions (Costin included) I think
Christopher already wrapped up the whole mess going on here in a
  AFAIK,  everyone is in agreement that all bug entries will be in
  one of the CLOSED states (RESOLVED, POSTPONED, or CAN'T-REPRODUCE)
  before the gold-code in _either_ tree is released. So perhaps the
  release plans should be modified to explicily state this, then we
  can all get back to the business of congratulating each other on
  our releases =)

On the state of 3.3:

I do not use any very exotic features and never came across a clear
Tomcat bug (except in the new admin pages). However I already tried
using JServ and several Tomcat 3.1.x and 3.2.x versions and my
favorite container is 3.3 since (at least) Milestone 1. I used it
for development even before M1 and I am using it on a production
server since M4.

I will never detected a whole class of bugs since I avoid a lot of
trouble by using no connectors - it is simpler to use Apache as a
Proxy and for us that is good enough.

Still, since we use 3.3, every time a Tomcat site stopped working the
problem was somewhere else (usually because the native database
connection pool stuff we were using sucks and does not recover from
network glitches and database restarts - moving to commons-dbcp now!).

OTOH:
  - With Tomcat 3.2.x we had it freezing for no clear reason;
  - With JServ we had connector related problems.

>From JServ, Tomcat 3.2.x and Tomcat 3.3, 3.3 is the only one giving
me NO run time trouble and also (by far) the easiest one to setup.

You didn't think I defended 3.3 just to nag Jon, did you?

> You know, Gaspar makes a very good point when he says that it is
> sometimes necessary to look past the somewhat ... less-than-diplomatic =)
> presentation, and find the heart of a Jon argument, because it
> almost always contains valuable insight and sound advice.

This is true... although I would use "quite often" instead of "almost
always".
=;o)

I already mentioned before that I learned a lot with Jon. I just keep
complaining because I would like him to make the process easier.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
As I said on another post, I don't know of any major problems with 3.3.  So
were I allowed to vote, mine would be +0 since I won't have time to keep up
with such a fast moving target.

*----*

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.

[snip]

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"William Barker" <wi...@wilshire.com> wrote:

> Keeping up with 4.0 isn't a good enough reason, since I'm sure that
> there are plenty of people like me who can't even think of moving to 4.0
> until it has release-quality connectors.

I know... Working on it as fast as I can to fix bugs, and thank god that
Ryan, JF, and Colin are working their asses off on that too...

    Pier (fixing as we speak)

Re: [VOTE] Release Plan for Tomcat 3.3 (final release)

*----*

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 9/10/01 1:44 PM, "Remy Maucherat" <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'll read that as:
> "There shouldn't be any confirmed bugs above at major or higher severity
> open in the bug database". Otherwise, I disagree with your statement.
> We can still release if there are some, but that will need a vote on each
> particular issue.

Life Cycle Of A Bug
<http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/bug_status.html>

All bugs should be marked as VERIFIED before a release.

Note: In OSS projects, I'm ok with QA being the developer who RESOLVED the
bug, but of course the submitter (or someone else) being the QA is the
preference.

> Also, all bugs seem to start in the "NEW" state, although I think they
> should start as unconfirmed.

I agree.

-jon

Re: [VOTE] Release Plan for Tomcat 3.3 (final release)

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> on 9/10/01 1:14 PM, "Pier Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> wrote:
>
> > To be fair, I see only 12 bugs with Tomcat 3.x, and ONLY ONE on 3.3
>
> I'm also worried about regression testing.
>
> >, whereas
> > there are 26 on Tomcat 4.0 currently open, and you didn't vote -1 on
4.0's
> > release plan... I'm not trying to "help out" anyone, neither trying to
say
> > that 4.0 should be given a -1, but I'm just trying to say that being
fair,
> > you can't veto their release given the reasons you listed above...
>
> I haven't voted for 4.0's release plan yet.
>
> However, given what you just said, -1 on that as well.
>
> > As I said, despite our disagreements and this whole "war" between 3.3
and
> > 4.0, I want to see a production quality R.I. for Servlet 2.2 and JSP
1.1,
> > and even if technically me and the 3.3 team are not "on the same line of
> > thoughts", I believe that if they proposed a release plan to get out
final
> > they know what they're doing...
>
> If there are bugs in the till, they should get resolved first.

I'll read that as:
"There shouldn't be any confirmed bugs above at major or higher severity
open in the bug database". Otherwise, I disagree with your statement.
We can still release if there are some, but that will need a vote on each
particular issue.

Also, all bugs seem to start in the "NEW" state, although I think they
should start as unconfirmed.

Remy

Re: [VOTE] Release Plan for Tomcat 3.3 (final release)

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"cmanolache@yahoo.com" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> BTW, thank you Pier !

I believe I'm just being fair... We have our disagreements on most of the
technical aspects of the code, that's why, to my disappointment too, we have
TWO releases coming out in parallel, but, as I said last week to Henri, the
only way to get thru it is "live and let live" (in French, Henri "Car je ne
vous tracasse pas avec mod_jk, s'il vous plaît, vous faites la même chose
avec moi et le WebApp module.").

So, I you don't veto me, I don't veto you... (I believe this is what we
agreed on at the PMC meeting)

    Pier

Re: [VOTE] Release Plan for Tomcat 3.3 (final release)

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
Even if this is a majority vote, and so far we seem to have the votes we
need for the release, I think Jon is right on not releasing unless all
the bugs are evaluated and we fix all the bugs that we think are important
and don't destabilize the release.

For 3.3 there is only one reopened bug ( which is not a valid bug IMHO ),
and 4 bugs marked with REMIND - that we hope to fix.

Regarding regression testing - we tried as much as possible, and so far we
have found only 2 or 3 cases where the behavior was different and that
could be considered a regression. As long as the user doesn't provide
test cases that can be included in the test suite - there is little we can
do.

We keep evaluating the 3.2 bugs ( including LATER, many of them
have been fixed in 3.3 ), and we'll not release until all the bugs are
evaluated.

BTW, thank you Pier !

Costin

Re: [VOTE] Release Plan for Tomcat 3.3 (final release)

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Jon Stevens wrote:

[snip]

> If T4.0 FINAL has bugs not in VERIFIED/CLOSED state, then I'm going
> to vote -1 on its release.

FWIW, I agree with that sentiment; but to the best of my knowledge, so
does everyone else. Given that, I really don't anticipate a problem
here. AFAIK,  everyone is in agreement that all bug entries will be in
one of the CLOSED states (RESOLVED, POSTPONED, or CAN'T-REPRODUCE)
before the gold-code in _either_ tree is released. So perhaps the
release plans should be modified to explicily state this, then we can
all get back to the business of congratulating each other on our releases =)

(Well, except for that Jon-Pier connector thing, but a standalone guy
like myself isn't going near that one with a ten-foot pole :)

- Christopher

/**

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 9/10/01 2:13 PM, "Pier Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> wrote:

> Well, let them do their fucking job... If we gave them committer access, it
> means that we trust them. If they say that 3.3 is ready to go, well, I'm not
> going to stop them because FIRST I never contributed a line of code, SECOND
> I gave THEM responsibility when I voted, or not vetoed their committer
> status, THIRD I never tried out 3.3, so don't know what's the status of bugs
> is, but (see two) I trust them (or I have to).

The fact that it is ready to go should be recorded in the issue tracking
system by marking the issues as VERIFIED/CLOSED.

> Too late, we are already progressing with RCs as planned, so, next time,
> vote in a timely manner :) :) :)

I don't care about the RC's. I care about a T4.0 FINAL.

If T4.0 FINAL has bugs not in VERIFIED/CLOSED state, then I'm going to vote
-1 on its release. However, of course, I believe that there is a majority
vote in that case, so I will probably be overruled.

> That's why the WebApp module is not yet out with RC1 (the java part is
> tagged and not-modifiable, but there are still some issues in C I want to
> fix before tagging).

I'm really afraid that T4.0 FINAL is going to get really bad reviews as a
result of this. I sure hope that connector is rock solid (like Jserv's is)
on release day.

-jon

Re: [VOTE] Release Plan for Tomcat 3.3 (final release)

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Jon Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:
> on 9/10/01 1:14 PM, "Pier Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> wrote:
>
>> To be fair, I see only 12 bugs with Tomcat 3.x, and ONLY ONE on 3.3
>
> I'm also worried about regression testing.

Well, let them do their fucking job... If we gave them committer access, it
means that we trust them. If they say that 3.3 is ready to go, well, I'm not
going to stop them because FIRST I never contributed a line of code, SECOND
I gave THEM responsibility when I voted, or not vetoed their committer
status, THIRD I never tried out 3.3, so don't know what's the status of bugs
is, but (see two) I trust them (or I have to).

>> , whereas
>> there are 26 on Tomcat 4.0 currently open, and you didn't vote -1 on 4.0's
>> release plan... I'm not trying to "help out" anyone, neither trying to say
>> that 4.0 should be given a -1, but I'm just trying to say that being fair,
>> you can't veto their release given the reasons you listed above...
>
> I haven't voted for 4.0's release plan yet.

Yeah, noticed...

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Jon Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> on 9/10/01 9:12 AM, "Christopher Cain" <cc...@mhsoftware.com> wrote:
>

>>> ===== Tomcat 3.3 Final Release Plan Ballot =====
>>> [ ] +1    I am in favor of this plan, and will help
>>> [ ] +0    I am in favor of this plan, but am unable to help
>>> [ ] -0    I not in favor of this plan
>>> [X] -1    I am opposed to this plan, and my reason(s) are:
>>> ================================================
>
> <http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASS
> IGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&email1=&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1&e
> mail2=&emailtype2=substring&emailreporter2=1&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&chang
> edin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&product=Tomcat+3&short
> _desc=&short_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&long_desc_type=substring&bug_fil
> e_loc=&bug_file_loc_type=substring&keywords=&keywords_type=anywords&field0-0
> -0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&newqueryname=&order=Reuse+sa
> me+sort+as+last+time>
>
> Essentially a query for all new/assigned/reopened bugs in Tomcat 3.
>
> Is there also a recursive test to make sure that all 3.2.x reported/fixed
> bugs are also fixed in 3.3?

To be fair, I see only 12 bugs with Tomcat 3.x, and ONLY ONE on 3.3, whereas
there are 26 on Tomcat 4.0 currently open, and you didn't vote -1 on 4.0's
release plan... I'm not trying to "help out" anyone, neither trying to say
that 4.0 should be given a -1, but I'm just trying to say that being fair,
you can't veto their release given the reasons you listed above...

As I said, despite our disagreements and this whole "war" between 3.3 and
4.0, I want to see a production quality R.I. for Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1,
and even if technically me and the 3.3 team are not "on the same line of
thoughts", I believe that if they proposed a release plan to get out final
they know what they're doing...

    Pier (again, trying to become the nice guy here)

Re: [VOTE] Release Plan for Tomcat 3.3 (final release)

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
> ===== Tomcat 3.3 Final Release Plan Ballot =====
> [X] +1    I am in favor of this plan, and will help
> [ ] +0    I am in favor of this plan, but am unable to help
> [ ] -0    I not in favor of this plan
> [ ] -1    I am opposed to this plan, and my reason(s) are:

I've got a few SSL-related patches to backport from the 4.0 tree, Nacho
and I are working on a cert-related bug entry that affects both 3.2.3
and 3.3 (delayed mostly by me, I'm afraid :), and Henri and I are in the
process of finalizing the combined SSL-HOWTO. I'd say all three can be
ready before the first freeze.
- Christopher

/**

Posted by Elm Gysel <el...@dateq.be>.
> ===== Tomcat 3.3 Final Release Plan Ballot =====
> [X] +1    I am in favor of this plan, and will help
> [ ] +0    I am in favor of this plan, but am unable to help
> [ ] -0    I not in favor of this plan
> [ ] -1    I am opposed to this plan, and my reason(s) are:

Elm

Re: DIGEST authentication scheme for Tomcat 3.3

Posted by Attila Szegedi <sz...@freemail.hu>.
Been thinking about how could it be done completely orthogonal to the main
code (that is, as an independent module), but no matter how I look at it, I
can't figure how to acheive the same functionality without touching
AccessInterceptor and RealmBase. OTOH, The Digest* classes can be moved into
a module of their own, there's no problem with that, but AccessInterceptor
and RealmBase still have to know about it. [Or is it just that I don't know
Tomcat architecture closely enough?]

Attila.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

> ===== Tomcat 3.3 Final Release Plan Ballot =====
> [ ] +1    I am in favor of this plan, and will help
> [X] +0    I am in favor of this plan, but am unable to help
> [ ] -0    I not in favor of this plan
> [ ] -1    I am opposed to this plan, and my reason(s) are:

But this vote doesn't count until the detailed list of issues (and the
proposed resolution) is published and agreed to.

Craig

Re: [VOTE] Release Plan for Tomcat 3.3 (final release)

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
+1

Posted by Marc Saegesser <ma...@apropos.com>.
===== Tomcat 3.3 Final Release Plan Ballot =====
[ ] +1    I am in favor of this plan, and will help
[ ] +0    I am in favor of this plan, but am unable to help
[X] -0    I not in favor of this plan
[ ] -1    I am opposed to this plan, and my reason(s) are:

-0 only because the "must fix" list isn't available.  Its difficult to nail
down a release date without that list.  I know, I tried it several times
with Tomcat 3.2.2  :-)

Otherwise I'm +0 because what time I have is still focused on the tomcat_32
branch.