Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2004/12/09 10:06:54 UTC

Re: Configuring output plugins (was Re: [JIRA] Commented: (FOR-409) PDF: should be able to change font size and style in skinconf.xml)

El mié, 08-12-2004 a las 23:42, Ross Gardler escribió:
> scott hutinger wrote:
> > Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >> issues@cocoondev.org wrote:
> >>
> >> From FOR-409

> >> OK, so how do we configure output-plugins? Here is a suggestion to get
> >> us started:

> > I think possibly another pdf plugin would need to be required when doing
> > things like a 1 to 1 file mapping with changes going on per file.  I
> > think a standard plugin for pdf output, and then someone may need to
> > create another pdf output to do more specialized things.
>
> Sorry, I'm not following you. Are you suggesting that we create a
> different plugin for every use case? Surely, a single configurable
> plugin that covers the majority of use-cases would be more sensible.
>
> Sure, there may be advanced use cases requiring editing of stylesheets
> and the like, but that it poweruser stuff. For the maojoority of users a
> configurable plugin would be just fine.

:)

I am not sure but I reckon that would be actually a use case for
forrest:templates. One could implemend this power user functionality as
new fbits for the pdf. That way we will have *one* pdf plugin that can
be extended on a use case basis.

NOTE: The forrest:templates are still in the conceptual phase because I
still did not found time to implemend a prototyp. I hope I will have a
working example on the end of this year in 0.7-dev.

> > Or possibly
> > settings for specific files(user supplied- or a list of), and a default
> > setting.  Possibly choose you pdf output such as skin for the default
> > output.
>
> I'm totally lost here I'm afraid, could you explain some more.

I think I know what Scott is trying to say. Expressed in code (with
forrest:templates in the back of my head) I would guess it is something
like this:

forrest:templates:
<forrest:view output-format="fo" name="customPdf">
  <forrest:hook name="intro">
   <forrest:nugget name="grouplogo"/>
   <forrest:call-template name="customFunctions"/>
  </forrest:hook>
</forrest:view>

site.xml:
<site label="MyProj" href=""
xmlns="http://apache.org/forrest/linkmap/1.0" tab="">

  <about label="About">
    <index label="Index" href="index.html" description="Welcome to
MyProj" view="customPdf"/>
  </about>
</site>

Then the power user can write his/her own <forrest:template/> where
(s)he implemends new functionalities for e.g. PDF.

HTH
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"