Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by atomly <al...@fotolog.biz> on 2008/08/12 20:49:43 UTC

Durable Topics and duplicate messages

I currently have a setup where I have two machines running ActiveMQ (let's
call them MQ1 and MQ2).  There are a few Queues and a few Consumers set up
and everything works fine with load-balancing, failover, etc.  However, I
tried setting up a Durable Topic for what we refer to as "admin messages."
These are messages that we want each machine to receive for things like
config updates.  This works fine until we test the failover.  If we bring
down one MQ machine (say MQ1), everything keeps working fine, but then when
we bring MQ1 back online, MQ2 replays all of the messages that MQ1 missed
and all of those messages are then also replayed to the Consumers.

Is there any way to avoid this setup?  It's fine to have the messages sent
to MQ1, but I really can't have the same messages getting replayed to my
Consumers.  It's seems counterintuitive to me that it would work this way.
I've tried searching quite a bit about this, but couldn't find anything
exactly related to it.

Any help would be great!

awl

alee@fotolog.biz :: www.fotolog.com