Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Pingili, Madhupal" <MP...@BBandT.com> on 2003/07/16 16:14:50 UTC

[OT]How to invoke Visual Basic Objects from Java Servlet(Action i n Struts)?

Hello Everyone,
I don't think I have ever seen VB word (even as misspelled) on this mailing
list.
But I have an interesting project where I have to use VB objects for
printing/faxing purposes.
These VB objects are developed by EIS vendor to be used in custom
applications for printing/faxing
purposes.

Here are my options:

1. I have to develop a VB application and install on client's desktop for
querying print/fax services on EIS.
    This is entirely possible. However, I don't like this option.
    That's why, I am asking the help of experts on this mailing list.

2. I have already developed a Struts-based web application for
querying/viewing information from EIS using
   their Resource Adapter. This Resource Adapter does not support the
printing/faxing services that VB objects
   support.
   So, the real question is, How can I use Struts Action to invoke VB
objects just like Java objects?

3. If I install VB runtime environment on client's desktop, can I somehow
use Applet to invoke VB objects
   just like Java objects? I guess it comes down to using VB objects in Java
code.

I am looking for a Java API (~java2vb.jar) that can be copied under
Web-inf/lib same way we copy Struts jar files
and use them in Actions just like Java objects. I guess I need more help on
this part of the process.

I have read about J-Integra but don't have much information. If anyone has
used J-Integra for this purpose,
can you give me some guidance or share your thoughts on this effort.

I appreciate any ideas/help for me to use Struts for this project.  I guess
this is not an Off Topic for this mailing list.

Regards,
Reddy

RE: [OT]How to invoke Visual Basic Objects from Java Servlet(Action in Struts)?

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
<snip>
I don't think I have ever seen VB word (even as misspelled) on this mailing
list.
</snip>

Oh I dunno mate. I reckon I may well have mentioned VB in a Friday [BEER]
thread... ;->
(Victoria Bitter)

If the client is using Internet Explorer you should be able to invoke VB
objects clientside using VBScript in your page. If you need it to happen on
the server however that wont be much help. (I do believe there are libraries
to help with this (or at least invoking activeX/OLE stuff from java - if its
not activeX you may have a bigger problem!) but I cant help you much with
that as Ive not tried it myself.)