Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Nicola Ambrosetti Brolin <am...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/17 15:27:54 UTC

Starting and terminating application from jmeter

Hi,

I'm trying to start an application at the beginning of a jmeter test. For
this I thought of using an OS sampler calling the application. However the
when the application is started the sampler doesn't return since the
application doesn't return control and keeps logging to stdout. So the test
cannot go any further and I need to stop the test manually.

Do you have any idea how I can just start a process from within JMeter
without waiting for it to return?

Best,

Nicola

Re: Starting and terminating application from jmeter

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17 February 2014 14:27, Nicola Ambrosetti Brolin
<am...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to start an application at the beginning of a jmeter test. For
> this I thought of using an OS sampler calling the application. However the
> when the application is started the sampler doesn't return since the
> application doesn't return control and keeps logging to stdout. So the test
> cannot go any further and I need to stop the test manually.
>
> Do you have any idea how I can just start a process from within JMeter
> without waiting for it to return?

One possible method would be to start the external app in a separate
Thread Group running in parallel.
You cannot use a startup TG for this.

Or create a shell script to launch the application asynchronously, and
run that from JMeter.

Or use a JSR-223 sampler with code to start the app but don't wait for
it to finish.

Or make your own copy of the OS sampler and remove the code that waits
for the process to finish.

Or just start the app independently of JMeter.