Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/10/01 15:54:03 UTC

Re: [HEADSUP] Committed skin package system

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I have committed the change that makes it possible for users to download
> skins and have them automatically used by Forrest.
> _TODO_
>
>  1 - If it's ok, migrate the skins.xml file from my account to
>      xml.apache.org/forrest/skins/skins.xml (->nicolaken)

Done.

>  2 - add a version to the skin files, to match the forrest one
>      (->nicolaken)

Done. If a versioned skin is not available, it also tries with an
unversioned file.

>  3 - make forrest unpack files placed manually (->nicolaken)

Done.

>  4 - make the download automatic when running forrest if skin
>      not available (->open, not sure if good to have)

Done nevertheless.

>  5 - docs about how to use it (->nicolaken)

@todo ;-S

Also changed from jar packages to zips (we don't use the manifest).

Currently available test skins:

   testskin
   testskin2

Please give it a check and see if it's ok for you.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [HEADSUP] Committed skin package system

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
<snip/>

> > Also changed from jar packages to zips (we don't use the manifest).
>
> So should we change the extension? You began with .fsj for
> "forrest skin jar". Perhaps .fsz

Du'oh ... how about .zip

--David

Re: [HEADSUP] Committed skin package system

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>  *.zip?

+1

Until we find a need it will make it easier for users/developers.

Cheers,
Cheche

Re: skin package descriptor skins.xml

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > I just banged some text in for the "description" element.
> > Nicola Ken, would you please tweak that text. Is it really
> > based on forrest-site?
>
> Yup.
>
> > Could you add a few words about the
> > differences.
>
> I'd like to remove them ASAP rather than keep them, I just removed some
> stuff without thinking much ;-)
>
> The question is: should we move the krysalis-skin out of Forrest?
> I'm +1 to it.

Oh yeah, great idea - do it. We just point to one real-life
example to start with.

> > It would be good to provide a leading example
> > for the descriptor.
>
> ?

I mean, the best way to encourage good use is to lead by example.
Describe the initial skin to the best of our ability. That will
then encourage others to write good descriptors.

> > We should discuss the needs of the skins.xml descriptor.
> >
> > So far we have some attributes for the <skin> element ...
> >  name="testskin"
> >  author="Nicola Ken Barozzi"
> >  website="http://www.nicolaken.com"
> >  url="http://www.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/forrestskins/"
> > and then a <description> element for some text.
> >
> > It would be nice if the "website" was actually a page that gave some
> > information about the skins, rather than just a simple credit URL.
>
> Yeah, but that's up to the skin creator, ...

Yes i agree. We should drop the "website" attr altogether.
If they want to have an "About my skin" page then they can
put it as the index.html page of the "url" attr.

> ... and I don't really want to
> publish anything about these "skins" ;-)

(Uh, oh. Does that smiley thing mean that this is a joke?)

Actually that raises a serious issue with this skins descriptor file.
We, the Apache Forrest project don't want to get into the role of
certify/support/approve/promote/... so we just have minimal info.

> What I'd like to add is an img="" url with a preview of the skin.

I agree ... probably mandatory, so that we can do the "themes" page.

We need two things rather than just "img" ...
thumbnail-img
... explicit dimensions (force-scaled if they don't adhere)
demo-url
... large screenshot or live site demo

> Then I'd like to add a stylesheet for it to Forrest, and have it render
> like here: http://texturizer.net/firebird/themes/

Of course. We expect no less.

> The only difference I see is that we don't provide versions of the skins
> on the page; it's made to have users only provide an initial url and be
> able to update skins and image previews without having to notify us each
> single time.

Yes, keep it simple.

--David

Re: skin package descriptor skins.xml

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 03:36:04PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> In this case, I don't see how we could move ASF copyrighted files out of
> Apache without the ASF ceding copyright to the author (you).

Eh? I can reuse any Apache thing as long as I give proper credit.

Futhermore all authors of materials that have been submitted to the ASF
retain the right to do whatever they want with their version. They
cannot though claim ownership of the subsequent changes done at Apache.

In this case, since I would be doing all the below mods to the forrest
skin, so what I would put outside of Apache is just the krysalis skin
colors, which where made by me in any case.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 03:36:04PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >Catching up on missed mail..
> >
> >On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:25:42PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> >>Since I am the creator and maintainer of that skin, I would obviously
> >>prefer to keep it in Forrest, it's easier to manage.
> >>
> >>But these are some reasons why we should move:
> >>
> >>1 - it's not an Apache project
> >
> >It's ASL'ed.
>
> It's not a reason to maintain it here either.

Actually, I've never really understood how files not hosted on ASF
hardware can claim to be covered by the ASL, which states "Copyright
<year> The Apache Software Foundation".  By now the ASF must have
copyright over vast quantities of material it doesn't even know of,
simply because people copy the Apache LICENSE.txt without modifying it.
In this case, I don't see how we could move ASF copyrighted files out of
Apache without the ASF ceding copyright to the author (you).

> >>2 - it's unfair to other projects that must keep their skin on
> >>   their sites
> >
> >They're not ASL'ed.  And they don't exist (see below).
>
> Not yet. Not having a packaging of skins, no wonder nobody dostributes
> them.
>
> >>3 - we point to one real-life example to start with, as David says
> >>4 - it's popular just because it's there, not necessarily because it's
> >>   that nice; with remote skins popularity will decrease IMHO
> >
> >If it comes to predictions, I predict this system isn't going to be
> >adopted by users at all, based on the observation that users *haven't*
> >been swamping us with skin submissions.  We haven't had a single skin
> >submission since forrest-css.  This is solving a non-existent problem.
>
> The krysalis-site move is not to solve a problem, just something that I
> thought makes sense (as I said later I won't be moving it anyway).
>
> As for the skin download system, it does solve a problem I had. It's not
> easy to make a skin available to different parties that have to use the
> same one unless it's in our distro.

It's not very hard to zip up one's src/resources/skins/xyz directory and
put it in JIRA.

> >?? What krysalis-skin (?) mods to the forrest skin?
>
> The krysalis skin is the Forrest skin with some mods:
>
> 1 - more use of CSS images instead of the img tag
> 2 - more use of CSS
> 3 - nested page index in the left navigation
> 4 - places the breadcrumb in different position
> 5 - smaller default fonts
> 6 - javascript for font size setting
>
> The only thing that makes the krysalis skin really different is teh
> color and title underlines, but the rest can (IMHO should) be backported
> to forrest-site.

Oh I see, yes.

--Jeff

Re: skin package descriptor skins.xml

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Catching up on missed mail..
>
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:25:42PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Since I am the creator and maintainer of that skin, I would obviously
>>prefer to keep it in Forrest, it's easier to manage.
>>
>>But these are some reasons why we should move:
>>
>>1 - it's not an Apache project
>
> It's ASL'ed.

It's not a reason to maintain it here either.

>>2 - it's unfair to other projects that must keep their skin on
>>    their sites
>
> They're not ASL'ed.  And they don't exist (see below).

Not yet. Not having a packaging of skins, no wonder nobody dostributes them.

>>3 - we point to one real-life example to start with, as David says
>>4 - it's popular just because it's there, not necessarily because it's
>>    that nice; with remote skins popularity will decrease IMHO
>
> If it comes to predictions, I predict this system isn't going to be
> adopted by users at all, based on the observation that users *haven't*
> been swamping us with skin submissions.  We haven't had a single skin
> submission since forrest-css.  This is solving a non-existent problem.

The krysalis-site move is not to solve a problem, just something that I
thought makes sense (as I said later I won't be moving it anyway).

As for the skin download system, it does solve a problem I had. It's not
easy to make a skin available to different parties that have to use the
same one unless it's in our distro.

Nobody asked us to make site: link resolving either, but it's there
nevertheless.

Time will tell if the skin feature is useless or has a place.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
Catching up on missed mail..

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:25:42PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Since I am the creator and maintainer of that skin, I would obviously
> prefer to keep it in Forrest, it's easier to manage.
>
> But these are some reasons why we should move:
>
> 1 - it's not an Apache project

It's ASL'ed.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >>Being able to use Forrest offline is quite important.  What do we buy
> >>moving a popular skin like krysalis-site out of Forrest?  Everyone who
> >>maintains it has commit access here.
> >

> > Yes, trust you to get to the crux. Offline use is of *primary*
> > importance. True, we should keep the popular skins here.
> >
> > We should start with the first donated skin. This whole thing
> > began when Tony said that he wanted to contribute a new skin.
>
> Ok then, since it's there now I would not move it to disrupt users.
> As soon as this thing gets more used, then we can think of moving it out
> and maintaining only Apache skins in CVS.

Oh, don't give up so easily :-) I was seeing lots of merit in
your reasons and suggestions. Okay, lets do as you now suggest.
That doesn't need to stop you rolling relevant enhancements into
the main forrest-* skins.

--David

Re: skin package descriptor skins.xml

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

?

> We should discuss the needs of the skins.xml descriptor.
>
> So far we have some attributes for the <skin> element ...
>  name="testskin"
>  author="Nicola Ken Barozzi"
>  website="http://www.nicolaken.com"
>  url="http://www.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/forrestskins/"
> and then a <description> element for some text.
>
> It would be nice if the "website" was actually a page that gave some
> information about the skins, rather than just a simple credit URL.

Yeah, but that's up to the skin creator, and I don't really want to

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
I just banged some text in for the "description" element.
Nicola Ken, would you please tweak that text. Is it really
based on forrest-site? Could you add a few words about the
differences. It would be good to provide a leading example
for the descriptor.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>David Crossley wrote:
> > <snip/>
> >
> >>I'd also want to add other information to the skins.xml file to include
> >>also some other information about the skins, so we can use that to
> >>automatically present a nice skins page to the user.
> >
> > Yes, "description" would be a good start. I added that today.

> > Nicola Ken would you please do
> > 'chmod g+w /x1/www/xml.apache.org/forrest/skins' which is owned by you.
>
> It's already group writeable AFAIS. It's not deleatable though, as I
> want to prevent accidental delete of this URI resource.
>
> Are you not able to update? Hmmm... maybe I'm doing something wrong...

No, i could update it okay. I ran into a permissions problem when i
tried to do a temporary backup in the same directory. No worries, i just
did it somewhere else. I said something because i thought it was odd.

Good idea about trying to prevent its accidental removal.
Should i test it?

> > I found another problem. If you do 'build clean; build' in xml-forrest,
> > and 'forrest clean' in your project, then 'forrest available-skins' will
> > fail - it does not go and get the skins.xml descriptor. It is only when
> > you do 'forrest' that it will retrieve it. I did try to fix it.
>
> Fixed, in making the descriptor not be downloaded always I forgot to
> check that. Thanks :-)

Looks good now.

--David

Re: [HEADSUP] Committed skin package system

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>Dunno, if it's a zip it's easy to open by double-clicking, and has a
>>real mime-type. On the other hand it's generic, and even Openoffics has
>>a different extension even if they are using zips... what do others prefer?
>>
>>  *.zip?
>>  *.fsz?
>>  *.forrestskin.zip?
>>  *.fs.zip?
>
> +1 for *.zip

Ok, given also the other votes let it be zip! (done)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
<snip/>
> Dunno, if it's a zip it's easy to open by double-clicking, and has a
> real mime-type. On the other hand it's generic, and even Openoffics has
> a different extension even if they are using zips... what do others prefer?
>
>   *.zip?
>   *.fsz?
>   *.forrestskin.zip?
>   *.fs.zip?

+1 for *.zip

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
> >>Also changed from jar packages to zips (we don't use the manifest).
> >
> > So should we change the extension? You began with .fsj for
> > "forrest skin jar". Perhaps .fsz
>
> ...(in another mail you wrote)
>  > Du'oh ... how about .zip
>
> Dunno, if it's a zip it's easy to open by double-clicking, and has a
> real mime-type. On the other hand it's generic, and even Openoffics has
> a different extension even if they are using zips... what do others prefer?
>
>   *.zip?
>   *.fsz?
>   *.forrestskin.zip?
>   *.fs.zip?

*.zip

Name it what it is.  Anything other extension will confuse people.  Any prefix to the extension seems unnecessary.  .zip is simple and to the point.  We don't name our xconf files fxconf or *.forrest.xconf or anything like that.

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net

Re: [HEADSUP] Committed skin package system

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>>I have committed the change that makes it possible for users to download
>>>skins and have them automatically used by Forrest.
>
> I just tried it, very nice.

:-D

>>>_TODO_
>>>
>>> 1 - If it's ok, migrate the skins.xml file from my account to
>>>     xml.apache.org/forrest/skins/skins.xml (->nicolaken)
>>
>>Done.
>>
>>> 2 - add a version to the skin files, to match the forrest one
>>>     (->nicolaken)
>>
>>Done. If a versioned skin is not available, it also tries with an
>>unversioned file.
>
> It gave three identical errors about java.io.FileNotFoundException
> when trying to get the non-existent skin. I expected one error.

Yeah, that's wierd, it seems like it's the Ant task doing it. Doh.

> With "skinconf2" it still went on to look for an un-versioned file
> even though it had already got a versioned file.

Ok, found the bug, will fix tomorrow.

>>> 3 - make forrest unpack files placed manually (->nicolaken)
>>
>>Done.
>
> The skin will get blown away by the next 'build clean'. But that
> is okay because it is so quick to go get another copy. Also it
> may be preferable to get a fresh copy.

Exactly. When someone does a build clean, it's usually to change
versions, so a new skin download might be a nice idea.

> If the user wanted to keep
> the skin and perhaps enhance it, then they can copy it to their project.

Yup.

>>> 4 - make the download automatic when running forrest if skin
>>>     not available (->open, not sure if good to have)
>>
>>Done nevertheless.
>>
>>> 5 - docs about how to use it (->nicolaken)
>>
>>@todo ;-S
>
> Started.

Cool :-)

>>Also changed from jar packages to zips (we don't use the manifest).
>
> So should we change the extension? You began with .fsj for
> "forrest skin jar". Perhaps .fsz

...(in another mail you wrote)
 > Du'oh ... how about .zip

Dunno, if it's a zip it's easy to open by double-clicking, and has a
real mime-type. On the other hand it's generic, and even Openoffics has
a different extension even if they are using zips... what do others prefer?

  *.zip?
  *.fsz?
  *.forrestskin.zip?
  *.fs.zip?

>>Currently available test skins:
>>
>>   testskin
>>   testskin2
>>
>>Please give it a check and see if it's ok for you.
>
> This is a good start.

:-)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> > I have committed the change that makes it possible for users to download
> > skins and have them automatically used by Forrest.

I just tried it, very nice.

> > _TODO_
> >
> >  1 - If it's ok, migrate the skins.xml file from my account to
> >      xml.apache.org/forrest/skins/skins.xml (->nicolaken)
>
> Done.
>
> >  2 - add a version to the skin files, to match the forrest one
> >      (->nicolaken)
>
> Done. If a versioned skin is not available, it also tries with an
> unversioned file.

It gave three identical errors about java.io.FileNotFoundException
when trying to get the non-existent skin. I expected one error.

With "skinconf2" it still went on to look for an un-versioned file
even though it had already got a versioned file.

> >  3 - make forrest unpack files placed manually (->nicolaken)
>
> Done.

The skin will get blown away by the next 'build clean'. But that
is okay because it is so quick to go get another copy. Also it
may be preferable to get a fresh copy. If the user wanted to keep
the skin and perhaps enhance it, then they can copy it to their project.

> >  4 - make the download automatic when running forrest if skin
> >      not available (->open, not sure if good to have)
>
> Done nevertheless.
>
> >  5 - docs about how to use it (->nicolaken)
>
> @todo ;-S

Started.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 03:54:03PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>>I have committed the change that makes it possible for users to download
>>>skins and have them automatically used by Forrest.
>>>_TODO_
>>>
>>>1 - If it's ok, migrate the skins.xml file from my account to
>>>    xml.apache.org/forrest/skins/skins.xml (->nicolaken)
>>
>>Done.
>
> One possibility would be to use a viewcvs URL to point to the latest
> skins.xml in CVS.

Thinking about it, it seems better as skin.xml changes will always be
different from website updates, so it seems like a sensible option.

But thinking about contracts and URIs, a published location seems more
solid... can we make a symlink or a redirect or something from the
website? In this way we would have both things.

> --Jeff
>
> (who hasn't had time to investigate this skin stuff but it sounds good)

:-)

Just an OT question: when are you committing your not-copy-the-sources
patch? I'm itching like mad to reduce copying in Forrest ;-)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.