Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by James <23...@qq.com> on 2017/09/03 10:41:47 UTC

Can I use Ignite for my case?

I am searching one solution to my case.  I just found Apache Ignite
Yesterday. It appears a good solution. But I am not sure. I need your
suggestions.

My data is stored in MySQL. It is TB level. I like to do the following:
1. Load all data from MySQL into Ignite.
2. Run sql query to get all data to do some "group by" on number data to
calculate sum, avg, max, min etc.
3. If I need to do some complex math operation, I like ignite to provide
some stored procedure so I can run it on Ignite side.
4. I like to embed Ignite into my Java application.
5. I just want to use One server to achieve above goal.

Above is my fast solution I want. Later, I will add distributed
functionalities.

Thanks,

James

Re: Can I use Ignite for my case?

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
James,

I think you will find this documentation useful:

https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/getting-started

D.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Hi James,

My answers are inline...

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 3:41 AM, James <23...@qq.com> wrote:

> I am searching one solution to my case.  I just found Apache Ignite
> Yesterday. It appears a good solution. But I am not sure. I need your
> suggestions.
>
> My data is stored in MySQL. It is TB level. I like to do the following:
> 1. Load all data from MySQL into Ignite.

You should utilize IgniteDataStreamer [1] API to load data into Ignite.

> 2. Run sql query to get all data to do some "group by" on number data to
> calculate sum, avg, max, min etc.

You can do it in Ignite the standard client-server way. However, Ignite is
a distributed system and a much more performant way would be to send
computations to the nodes where the data is and run your logic locally on
those nodes. [2]

> 3. If I need to do some complex math operation, I like ignite to provide
> some stored procedure so I can run it on Ignite side.

Ignite does not have stored procedures. Instead, you should use collocated
computations. [2]

> 4. I like to embed Ignite into my Java application.

This is easy. Ignite has a very rich Java API and comes with many Java
examples.

> 5. I just want to use One server to achieve above goal.

If you use just one server, then what would be the advantage over MySQL?
Ignite brings the most value when you need to scale-out your application. I
would consider at least 2 servers or more.

[1] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/data-streamers
[2] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/collocate-compute-and-data