Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Aaron Smuts <aa...@verizon.net> on 2002/01/14 02:35:08 UTC

RE: [simplestore] inital check in -- cache (JCS plugins)

Hi:

How do you find JISP?  I added a disk auxiliary cache to JCS that uses
it and it seems pretty fast and I haven't been able to get it to lock
up.  It uses a lot of disk space and doesn't take kindly to sharing
files.  I haven't tried to reliably re-use old files on startup yet.  I
haven't explored all of the features yet.

How are you handling memory management?

I'm looking for some alternative memory algorithms.  I want to make
memory management pluggable, but I need some alternatives to my LRU
double-linked list first.

" A background Thread checks if memory running
> slow"

How do you determine slow?  This is interesting.

Cheers,

Aaron

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Aaron,

>From: Aaron Smuts [mailto:aaron.smuts3@verizon.net]
>
>Hi:
>
>How do you find JISP?  I added a disk auxiliary cache to JCS that uses
>it and it seems pretty fast and I haven't been able to get it to lock
>up.  It uses a lot of disk space and doesn't take kindly to sharing
>files.  I haven't tried to reliably re-use old files on startup yet.  I
>haven't explored all of the features yet.

I will introduce a Jisp based cache into Cocoon project as "slow cache"
in the next release, I hope.
I did some performance test against the current implementation and it seems
to be very fast.
I use in Cocoon the MRUMemoryStore as fast Cache and the Jisp based Store
for Swaping. Like the Memory Management of a real OS (not Windows ;).

The current implementation re-uses the old files on startup. Maybe we have
to on/off this feature.

>How are you handling memory management?

Take a look in the StoreJanitor. He's checks memory consumption with
a simple formel with a periodic background thread. If memory running
low he frees some objects out of the registered Memory Caches.

Additonal the MRUMemoryStore has a Attribute called maxobjects. When
maxobjects is reached the Store kicks out the least object!

>I'm looking for some alternative memory algorithms.  I want to make
>memory management pluggable, but I need some alternatives to my LRU
>double-linked list first.

Hi, kick in, take the MRUMemoryStore and the StoreJanitor. As I said
I just ported the components from Cocoon and it's not 100%, yet. When
you want change something, then feel free to do it. Send me a patch in
the "diff -u" format and I will check it in.

That would be kool!!

>" A background Thread checks if memory running
>> slow"
>
>How do you determine slow?  This is interesting.

Ahem I mean low. A typo ;-).

  Gerhard

<skip/>

"A man with one watch knows what time it is,
a man with two watches is never sure...
(Albert Einstein)"

RE: [simplestore] inital check in -- cache (JCS plugins)

Posted by Aaron Smuts <aa...@verizon.net>.
Sorry I mistook a typo "slow" for "low."  I looked over the code.

Aaron