Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com> on 2014/06/20 20:07:24 UTC

Contacts API, iOS

(I struggled with whether or not this should go here or the Google Group. Settled on here but if folks think it should be moved, just let me know.)

I was building a small test of the pickContact API when I noticed it didn't work in iOS. I opened up a remote debug session with Safari and noticed it had chooseContact.

Thinking it was just a doc bug, I corrected it with a pull request and returned to my code. But then my app crashed after selecting a contact.

>From what I can see, the chooseContact iOS API is:

    chooseContact : function(successCallback, options) {

not

    chooseContact : function(successCallback, errorCallback) {

So something is seriously weird here compared to the original docs. Anyone know what is going on with the plugin?

Re: Contacts API, iOS

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Just committed a patch to update the URLs in the docs.

http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/edge/cordova_plugins_pluginapis.md.html#Plugin%20APIs

Re: Contacts API, iOS

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.

Re: Contacts API, iOS

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

RE: Contacts API, iOS

I took a few minutes to look deeper on what's going on with Contacts Plugin.
Here are my findings:

Back in April [1] when navigator.contacts.pickContact() was added the signature for navigator.contacts.find() was changed
From:
navigator.contacts.find:function(fields, successCB, errorCB, options) {
To:
navigator.contacts.find:function(successCB, errorCB, fields, options) {

I think this is a braking change and the reason why mobilespec is failing.

If there are no objections I think the find method should be put back as it was before publishing a new version with a different api signature. I created an issue [2] to track

Re: Contacts API, iOS

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
I took a few minutes to look deeper on what's going on with Contacts Plugin.
Here are my findings:

Back in April [1] when navigator.contacts.pickContact() was added the
signature for navigator.contacts.find() was changed
From:
navigator.contacts.find:function(fields, successCB, errorCB, options) {
To:

RE: Contacts API, iOS

Posted by "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.

Re: Contacts API, iOS

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Yes - meant plugins registry.

RE: Contacts API, iOS

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.
So I just want to double check to make sure I'm groking it right myself - this was simply a mistake in terms of the doc for version X+1 going live before plugin version X+1 was ready, right? When/how will it be corrected? (Not trying to be pushy, just want to make sure I explain it well to others if asked. :)

Re: Contacts API, iOS

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Andrew plugins are not in npm, did you meant the plugin registry.

Then yes I agree that way user can read the docs that go along with the
version of the plugin. If they have an older version of the plugin the can
use the drop down to switch the version  to an older version and read the
corresponding docs for that version.

Assuming that's how is implemented the rendering of the docs on the
registry.

Ray brings an interesting point how do we handle corrections to the docs of
a plugin already released since now they are married withy the release tag
and published in the registry?

Re: Contacts API, iOS

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

RE: Contacts API, iOS